Baeron
1 Nickel

Inspiron 8200--Looking for HD replacement.

Okay, so I know for a fact that my current Internal Hard Drive is scrapped and falling apart. I can re-install the OS time and time again.. it works for a few weeks then the partition the OS is re-installed upon breaks down. Everything else is running just fine though.

So I went out and bought a USB external HD.. tried to reformat it, and install the OS, and it said that it couldn't reach the HD.. riiight >.> .. it just so conveniently was able to unformat the drive, so it has to have some connectivity going.

Also.. if for some reason that this isn't possible, I'm looking around for possible Internal HD replacements for my Inspiron 8200... although the parts selection program here was less than helpful.. only bringing up "Disk Drives".. whenever I specified "Hard Drive" in the search box.. which made me worry that the parts I need might not be produced anymore.. hmm..

Message Edited by Baeron on 06-17-2007 04:55 PM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Inspiron 8200--Looking for HD replacement.

The 8200 can't boot from a USB drive.

Any standard EIDE notebook drive 80G or smaller will work fine - you need a 2.5", 9.5 mm drive. SATA will not work.
0 Kudos
Baeron
1 Nickel

Hmmm.. can't USB? Ah, I see. Well using the specifications you gave me, I searched out abroad.. and.. well I found that they still do sell HD's that look exactly like my computer's.
Part ID: DELLC800-60.0 --Seems like it should work just fine.

Unless I'm mistaken and theres some weird difference between a 8100 and a 8200's connectors? Naw, couldn't be...? I think.. bleh.

Message Edited by Baeron on 06-18-2007 12:16 AM
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The connector is the same, and pulls off the drive. Underneath you'll find a standard, 44-pin EIDE connector.
0 Kudos