Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2015 09:00

Inspiron M531R-5535 CD/DVD upgrade/ replacement?

The CD/DVD drive on my laptop *** out on me a couple days ago.  Tray opened fine but when I closed it with the CD inside it started making a lot of noise and the tray wouldn't open again without using the manual release.  Won't read anything I put in there now either.  After doing a diagnostics test and checking software and drivers I believe it's a mechanical failure in the actual drive.  So, since it needs replacing, could someone tell me if it's possible to upgrade this model of laptop to a drive that plays Blurays?  I shopped around but my laptop doesn't seem to match the system requirements listed on the drive boxes I found in stores.  Everything seems to require an Intel Pentium IV processor with 2.40 GHz and my PC is running an AMD A8-5545M APU at 1.70GHz so I'm assuming they're not compatible.  I've been searching around on Google and can't find a site that lists Bluray drives with tech specs so I can figure out if anything will run with the laptop I have.

If I can't do this upgrade, where/ how can I find a replacement CD/DVD drive?  I've got a DU-8A5HH111C DVD/ CD rewriteable drive in there now.  Do I have to replace it with the exact same model or are these kinds of drives somewhat interchangeable?  I found this specific one for sale online but I'd have to wait for it to ship from Japan so I was hoping to find somewhere in The States that sells it so I can get it quicker.  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 7th, 2015 13:00

Hi Zeusfaberkev,

Pretty much any optical drive should work. You do not need a Pentium processor. I assume your laptop is not under warranty, since Dell would replace the drive if the warranty was still in effect. You might want to call them to see what replacement optical drive is available, or they have a blu ray drive that will fit.

No Events found!