Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2010 13:00

Installing 2nd Sata HardDrive

Hi, I posted this in another forum but I thought this would be better.

I'm running on a Dell Dimension E520 with Windows Vista

Right now I'm running a 80GB SATA Harddrive and I wanted to install a 2nd 320GB SATA one.

Anyways, I've been trying to install that 2nd SATA Harddrive I got, It's not brand new but from another computer . I hooked everything up and enabled that SATA Port in BIOS. It loaded fine and In "My Computer" I could see the Harddrive was enabled and working.

But then I opened to see the files in the Harddrive and it went downhill from there, My computer froze so I restarted it. Now every time I boot the computer up with that Harddrive enabled it gets passed the loading screen and just sits there with a black screen and my computer loading light is solid green.

I left it there for a while to see what would happen, then I heard a ticking sound coming from the computer.

Can anyone help? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 29th, 2010 17:00

Hi Shrieker132,

Try removing the new drive, make sure the system can boot. If it does, then pop the new drive back in, boot directly to the Dell diagnostics (F12) and test the new drive.

April 29th, 2010 20:00

Hey Osprey4, What am I suppose to do after I enter the Dell Diagnostics screen? 

It works fine if the drive is plugged in, but as soon as I enable the SATA port it's connected to in BIOS, it won't boot pass the Windows screen. All I get is a black screen and LED light is blinking or solid the whole time.  I'm really confused, it worked completely fine the first time, I could see both my harddrives working correctly.

No Events found!