Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2017 19:00

Installing an SSD drive in m.2 and making it the boot disk

would it be possible to publish some rough guidelines for installing an ssd in the m.2 slot, verifying the integrity of the drive, moving Windows 10 boot drive over to the ssd and utilizing the hard drive as a data storage device. I have an xps 8910 i76700 16gb w/ 1tb hard drive and nvidia 750. I understand the m.2 slot on the 8910 has been upgraded from the 8900 to accept full nvme cards and I would like to install a standard Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD as the primary boot drive. Is there a simple step by step procedure for this? Thanks

13 Posts

January 5th, 2017 01:00

I have a similar problem on XPS 15 9550.

Having boot problems I want to repair my Windows 10. Running Windows setup from an USB stick, I 'm stuck at: "A media driver your computer needs is missing etc". Probably the driver formy SSD.

I have been browsing around my C-disk and Intel drivers to no avail. Does anybody have an idea where to find the correct driver?

12 Posts

January 7th, 2017 21:00

Same questions.  I got a 8910 on Friday and am trying to install an Intel SSD6 512GB drive as the boot drive.  I installed the drive and Windows recognizes it, but I'm having trouble converting it to the boot drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 10th, 2017 03:00

See article here 

And video here:

108 Posts

February 12th, 2017 17:00

Shut the system down and install the Samsung EVO in the M2 slot. If there was not a SSD before you will need to buy an adapter that screws into the motherboard and another that attaches the SSD.  Do this before trying to set up the system. I checked and you need a metric bolt size 2.0 x 2.5. There are sites located by Google that will sell you what you need.

When you get the card installed, disconnect the hard drive. Then, using a USB with Windows 10 you download from Microsoft, boot to the USB, install the operating system on the SSD then reboot from the SSD. Then you need to attach the existing hard drive to another SATA port (not the blue one) and you should be in business with the SSD booting and the hard drive with the operating system and other files on it. You can format the hard drive at that point to use as a data drive but if you have data on it, probably easier to just leave the operating system files in place.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2018 20:00

Thanks for the tip. Could you tell me more about the adapter that screws into the motherboard and another that attaches to the SSD? I don't want to buy the wrong thing, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. 

5 Posts

January 25th, 2019 05:00

Maybe it's a little late but you can solve this problem by using this link.

How to Install Windows on an M.2 SSD

2 Posts

October 11th, 2019 21:00

I put a 970 evo plus in and used Samsung migration to clone my hdd to the m.2. after restarting the computer I cant find a way to change my bootdrive from the hdd to the new sdd. any help?

2 Posts

July 28th, 2020 07:00

Hi, I ask for advice. I choosing an SSD in my laptop and noticed such a parameter as Nand Flash and there are three types of it: MLC, TLC, and QLC
Which one is better, what are the differences, please tell me

1 Message

February 12th, 2021 08:00

Hello!!

My friend here Fred was able to make it this way below:

How to redirect Dell Inspiron to boot from a SSD m.2 card in 10 steps:

1. Put Windows Install disk on a regular USB Drive, meanwhile move all your important files to a Folder on Desktop or so. Disable the Dell boot password!
2. Format the SSD m.2 storage;
3. Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS, change boot sequence to start booting from USB Drive first (pendrive) and be sure that all available SSDs are enabled on BIOS;
4. Disconnect the hard disk from the system, remember to disconnect bactery before doing it to avoid hard disk damages;
5. Start the system without internal hard disk, only with the previously formated SSD m.2
6. BIOS will ask for Ctrl+Alt+Dell, just shut down the system
7. Connect the usb drive with the Windows install and be sure to boot the system from it;
8. When prompted, select the SSD m.2 as Windows install destination Path and follow the instructions on screen. A 128Gb SSD m.2 is quite enough to install and run Windows 10 properly;
9. Using a regular USB adapter format your internal hard disk (be carefull removing the screws of the internal HD plastic cover), proceed with disk format;
10. Reboot system and enter BIOS to change boot sequence, to boot from SSD m.2;
normalmente;
11. Reinstall the formated internal hard disk, always care for disconnecting battery before connecting disk, and start system normally;
12. Here you go! now you are quickly booting from SSD m.2 and you have the whole internal hard disk to store your files

14 Posts

June 4th, 2022 12:00

Your USB receipt would work, however you'd probably need to reinstall your sw.

It's is a method to preserve yor evironment and at the same time get a larger ssd.  

Easy recipy:

1.Install the new m.2 boot disk

2.Enter Windows,  format it and assign a drive letter.

3.Turn off any encryption on the original boot disk (bit locker) and decrypt the old os drive if it's encrypted.

4.Clone the disk using a 3d party sw (a lot to choose from, I used Ease US todo

5.Remove the old boot os ssd.

6.Boot your pc. Your disk manager should be able to sort it out, if not, change boot order manually.

No Events found!