Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2003 08:00

Installing second hard drive 200 gig

I just installed a secondary hard drive to my dem 8250. When I go to bios and put it to auto is say unknown. When I go to about my computer in dells solution center it shows the hard drive capacity but has not been asigned a drive letter. I have both western and maxtor drives set to cable select.

This is a maxtor 200 gig ata133. I just hooked to the mother board using the cable that came with new hard drive.  Do I need the ata card for drives bigger than 137gig?

Also when trying to open the Maxblast software that came with hard drive after installing, it keeps encountering an error message and needs to close.

Thank you,

Shaun 

166 Posts

December 27th, 2003 17:00

You need to partition & format the drive before you can use it..Do this thru disk manager..

6 Posts

January 10th, 2004 14:00

I'm sorry How do you partition and format?

Shaun

341 Posts

January 13th, 2004 01:00

How do you format a 200 gig hard drive if your computer only recognizes 127 gig's of it?  Is this controlled by the BIOS?  Can I use some other app to split the Disk, so that Windows 2000 thinks that they are 2 different drives?

341 Posts

January 13th, 2004 04:00

I just finished updating my BIOS to A08 and it did not help my machine recogonize the 200 gig harddrive.  It still only recognized it as a 132 gig hard drive.  That is really weird.  Also, my harddrive is a Hitashi and there were no updates for its drivers, since this is supposedly the first commercially sold Hitashi hard drive in a retail store (i.e. Fry's Electronics).  Anyone else have a clue?

UPDATE:

Upgrading to BIOS A08 from A03 and installing Intel's Application Accelerator did the trick.  Thanks for all the help and I hope this helps someone else.

Message Edited by Rob in Texas on 01-16-2004 09:58 AM

No Events found!