Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

Intel Rapid Start Technology on single SSD (EUFI boot)

Hi All,

I bought a new Dell Vostro 3360, Core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, BIOS (A11) before Christmas.

Worked great and then failed to boot. 2 days on phone support, ultimately the old motherboard (BIOS A11) was replaced under warranty as it was not possible to boot from USB, would not Boot from SSD, no optical drive, BIOS could not be flashed etc.

However since the new motherboard (A12) Intel Rapid Start has exhibited the following behaviour:

1. IRST timer set to 1 minute. Documents left open on screen.
  2. On lid close / sleep, the sys enters S3 state with power light pulsing.
  3. After waiting 1 min, the hard drive light comes on, apparently writing the active RAM session to the SSD 'hibernate' partition.
  4. All power lights go out, system would now appear to be in S4.
  5. Pressing the power button, the power lights light up briefly (around 1 sec) and then all lights go out and system does not boot.
  6. Pressing power button a second time the system, will 'cold' boot, ie not resume from sleep. Returning to the desktop any open docs are closed. And examining the Event Log shows:
  1. Critical - Error ID 41 - "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
  • The above appears to demonstrate that at step 4, when power to the RAM is cut, the session is lost, either it doesn't successfully get written to the partition or if it does, then it fails to be returned to RAM at step 5.
  • For the record, disabling Windows 'Fast startup' makes no differnce.
  • Disabling Windows Hibernate via elevated cmd powercfg -h off, makes no difference.

So in the current state as left by the Dell Engineer, the system if not manually shutdown and allowed to Sleep will lose your open/unsaved work.

1. I updated the BIOS to the latest version 'A13' with no improvement.
2. I have deleted and re-created the 8192MB volume with DISKPART as per - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=545794&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

With the exception that for a Win8 EUFI boot using a GPT disk, the SET ID is required to be SET ID=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593.

SET ID=84 OVERRIDE does not work on this kind of Disk.

I also then re-installed the latest Rapid Start setup from Dell - 2.1.0.1002, A00 (23/10/2012)

3. The above partition appear to be 'accepted' by IRST, as unless setting the ID as above, IRST disappears from the BIOS and errors when running the IRST setup program.

4. If I don't follow the above then, IRST is not visible in the BIOS and I receive a 'Rapid Start is not enabled' message on boot to desktop. In this scenario the sys stays in S3 indefinitely.

I have spent a further 2 days on the phone with Dell Support, and their ultimate solution is replace the motherboard again.

I would like to know if there any other avenues / options to re-instate the Intel Rapid Start Technology.

Kind regards
Graham

Ps apologies if this should be in the 'Laptops' thread rather than 'Disk Drives'?

13 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 05:00

Dell Engineer came today and replaced the Motherboard.

This has resolved the issue with Intel Rapid Start - to my surprise.

No software configuration changes were made, the hibernation partition not altered etc.

So only conclusion I can draw is that it was a hardware issue.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 12:00

Hi Graham,

Did you perform a clean installation of the OS after the motherboard was replaced? I'm thinking you probably had no choice, but don't want to assume.

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 13:00

Hi Osprey,

No, I haven't done a clean install. Dell stated that as replacing with identical motherboard, Windows re-install wasn't necessary.

However I have done a restore to Factory Image which made no difference.

Also as that would only affect the main partition (103GB) I wouldn't think a clean Install would make any changes to the 'Hibernation' partition (8GB)?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 04:00

Restoring the factory image should have accomplished the same thing. What happens if you put the system into hibernate from the start menu?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Wow, two motherboards to get to the right one. Anyway, glad to hear that was the answer.

13 Posts

Issue resolved now as per previous post, but just for your interest:

Windows 'Hibernate' worked fine (if manually initiated) - no issue with hiberfil.sys.

By default the system used sleep + IRST - hence me having the issue with lost work.

I.e.

1. Close lid.

2. Wait for the IRST timer period (default was 120 mins)

3. It would fail to resume the session.

So the only time the hiberfil.sys file was used was in a shut down /boot scenario due to Windows 'fast startup'.

Thanks

G

No Events found!