Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2010 09:00

Intel SSD on Latitude E6410?

I tried to add a 160GB Intel SSD to a new E6410 and the bios does not recognize it, no matter where the SATA setting is in the bios... AHCI, ATA, RAID, etc.

No primary device in bios.

I used acronis to move my data to the drive so I know it works.

Any ideas?

February 2nd, 2011 14:00

I had the same problem with a Latitude E6510 (with latest bios).  I put an Intel SSD in it and I could not get it recognized in the Windows 7 installation CD, nor Knoppix.  

It turned out I didn't have it physically connected properly.  The Intel SSD is much thinner than the SATA disk I replaced.  If you simply slide it into the chassis slot, it is possible that it the data connectors will not touch properly, but instead overlap.  The first indication that something wasn't right was when I went to screw in the 4 screws that secure the hard drive in the chassis, and the 2 screws on the data connector side were not long enough to attach (this is because the hard drive was cocked down at an angle, pushing the screw holes further away than they should have been).  I just left them out and booted up the computer, and that is when I was experiencing the problem mentioned above.

To fix the problem, I took a good look inside the hard drive slot to figure out where the data connectors should be making contact.  I flipped the laptop over so that gravity would assist in lining them up as I more carefully inserted the SSD.  This time, it seemed to slide in more deeply, and all 4 screws were secured this time.

June 4th, 2012 13:00

I have same problem with Crucial SSD, contacted Dell Support, no help from Dell, the guy didn't even suggest to update BIOS, found out that my BIOS was very old, updated BIOS, still same problem, then found that SSD was not properly sidding in, as they are slimmer than regualar HDD. Fixed by properly inserting it in. Now it works. No BIOS setup is needed.

1 Message

February 17th, 2014 23:00

Thanks. Was wondering why it went in so lightly.
Confirming exactly this behavioral on Dell Latitulde E6320 with Kingston SSD.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2014 23:00

Fabulous advice...min new drive was thinner than the original...careful reseating and gravity fixed the issue...now my laptol recognizes the new drive...thanks !!!

412 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 17:00

Look to see if Dell has provided a BIOS update for your motherboard. If so then this may enable your ability to use the SSD.

Failing that you can try, just to see if it works, to boot to the Vista/Win7 Repair environment or XP recovery environment (depending on OS) with your install disc then run FIXMBR C: (or whatever your drive letter is) from there.
Be warned: with ANY low-level tool you run the risk of destroying all data on that drive (though it is very very very small of a chance; it may be more accurate to say it's a non-zero chance than to say you're 99.99999999999999999999999999% not likely to lose data).

If you leave the original drive disconnected form the machine as you do this then you should be ok & be able to re-clone with Acronis later.

April 30th, 2012 13:00

I have the same problem.

The Dell Contact center instruct me to download and install the latest bios, so I did it, now I have Version A11 and my DELL LATITUDE E6410 still not recognize my SSD, SAMSUNG 128GB.

The SSD works with any problem on my other LENOVO T400.

I am waitting for any that coul solve my problem

Marcelo

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 13:00

Same problem here. I am using Dell Latitude E6410 and bought a Segate 240 GB Solid State Drive and trying to use it.

December 3rd, 2013 18:00

Finally, I bougth a new Samsung SSD 840 series, 250Go, SATA III, 2.5pulg and it works OK.
From DELL nobody answer my question. Very poor customer care support

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 19:00

Make and model of the SDD I tried is below, so Dell supports only Samsung SDD? I have no luck with Dell customer support either.

Seagate 600 Series ST240HM000 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 19:00

Good to know that it worked for you. What is your BIOS version btw? Mine is A15 also, what is your BIOS settings used (ATA/ SHCI / RAID) ?

4 Posts

December 4th, 2013 12:00

Folks! :emotion-2:

Finally, my SDD started working on Dell Latitude E6410. I formatted my new SSD (NTFS) and connected it. It picked it up and started installing.

I did not change any settings (RAID On) should be best.

-NewT

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 08:00

Hi Guys,

I am trying to Install a Intel SSD 320 Series into my E6510, it is thinner than the standard drive, so I took the Cover off the laptop (1 Screw and slide), made sure the drive went in. When I boot off the Win7 DVD DRive (Dell Windows 7 with SP1), it does the Windows is loading files and the Bar goes along the bottom of the screen and then Starting Windows, sits there for @ 30 Secs and then Reboots, My BIOS is A09, any thoughts.

I did put the SSD into a HP laptop, with that there is an ooption in the BIOS to do a Secure erase, I did that as the SSSD previously had XP on it and I wanted to do a fresh install, but still same.

Thanks

Steve

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 05:00

Hi Steve,

With the SSD in your laptop, boot to the BIOS and tell me what is reported for drives.

4 Posts

May 24th, 2014 09:00

Hi, Sorry for the delay, I've got it sorted! The BIOS is now showing Internal HDD (IRRT), I've got SATA=RAID, there seems to be conflicting information, some say it should be ACHI, others RAID, wich should it be? Does it make much difference. I have just changed the FASTBOOT to AUTO, it says that it will work if supported by OS, does Win 7, support FASTBOOT? Thanks again, Steve

March 5th, 2015 01:00

I've had the same problem as several people here when upgrading my Latitude E6410 with an SSD.

As other people have said, the issue is the SSDs are slimmer than the old hard disk which means the connectors do not always line up. I was using a Sandisk SSD and encountered exactly this problem. The issue is that when you open up the case, you still can't see if the SSD is slotting in correctly. For me, I could not feel or see any difference between having the SSD connecting up properly or not.

For me, the answer was trial and error. Slide in the hard disk, hope for the best and switch it on. On the fourth attempt, everything worked. Hurrah! No BIOS upgrades, no wailing and gnashing of teeth... well, okay, a bit of the wailing and the gnashing of teeth, but no more than is usual for a Monday morning. Now my old Dell laptop is upgraded and acting as if it is running on steroids! Well worth the minor hassle for a much faster PC. I'm happy!

No Events found!