OERN
1 Copper

RE: Intel SSD on Latitude E6410?

Jump to solution

Thanks. Was wondering why it went in so lightly.
Confirming exactly this behavioral on Dell Latitulde E6320 with Kingston SSD.

View solution in original post

Ffoley
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Fabulous advice...min new drive was thinner than the original...careful reseating and gravity fixed the issue...now my laptol recognizes the new drive...thanks !!!

View solution in original post

Steve2511
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I am trying to Install a Intel SSD 320 Series into my E6510, it is thinner than the standard drive, so I took the Cover off the laptop (1 Screw and slide), made sure the drive went in. When I boot off the Win7 DVD DRive (Dell Windows 7 with SP1), it does the Windows is loading files and the Bar goes along the bottom of the screen and then Starting Windows, sits there for @ 30 Secs and then Reboots, My BIOS is A09, any thoughts.

I did put the SSD into a HP laptop, with that there is an ooption in the BIOS to do a Secure erase, I did that as the SSSD previously had XP on it and I wanted to do a fresh install, but still same.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

With the SSD in your laptop, boot to the BIOS and tell me what is reported for drives.

0 Kudos
Steve2511
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hi, Sorry for the delay, I've got it sorted! The BIOS is now showing Internal HDD (IRRT), I've got SATA=RAID, there seems to be conflicting information, some say it should be ACHI, others RAID, wich should it be? Does it make much difference. I have just changed the FASTBOOT to AUTO, it says that it will work if supported by OS, does Win 7, support FASTBOOT? Thanks again, Steve
0 Kudos
ArtlessWilbury
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've had the same problem as several people here when upgrading my Latitude E6410 with an SSD.

As other people have said, the issue is the SSDs are slimmer than the old hard disk which means the connectors do not always line up. I was using a Sandisk SSD and encountered exactly this problem. The issue is that when you open up the case, you still can't see if the SSD is slotting in correctly. For me, I could not feel or see any difference between having the SSD connecting up properly or not.

For me, the answer was trial and error. Slide in the hard disk, hope for the best and switch it on. On the fourth attempt, everything worked. Hurrah! No BIOS upgrades, no wailing and gnashing of teeth... well, okay, a bit of the wailing and the gnashing of teeth, but no more than is usual for a Monday morning. Now my old Dell laptop is upgraded and acting as if it is running on steroids! Well worth the minor hassle for a much faster PC. I'm happy!

S. Mag
1 Copper

Jump to solution

THANKS!

It's always the simple thing like "Is it plugged in" 

As soon as you said "it isn't physically connected properly" I said to myself that is why the back retaining screw didn't have anything to grab on to.

All I did was turn it right side up and I could feel it grab and now it works fine.

Cheers

0 Kudos
bsvif
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've had the same problem, and it works with ssd samsung evo 850 240 gb

0 Kudos
danschy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Have an old E6410 used as an irrigation controller.  The hard drive died so I replaced it with a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD.  It is slightly shorter than the original hard drive, so the only way to get the connector to engage is to NOT use the cover piece (which holds it out too far).  Also, the holes in the back don't quite align - if I insert the screws, they pull the drive out slightly and it is no longer seated.  Right now it is just sitting in there with no support.  Since this is used in a fixed environment it is not a big issue, but slightly annoying.  Not sure why the SSD manufacturers don't make their drives the same length as original drives.  By the way, in replacing the drive I upgraded to Win10 and BIOS A17 and everything is working great - feels like a new laptop!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Max Fubar
1 Copper

Re: Intel SSD on Latitude E6410?

Jump to solution

Thanks!  It's a .99c spacer you can get off ebay from china that you stick to the ssd to take up the slack in the slot.  Luckily I had one on an old non working ssd that I peeled off and stuck on my new Hyundai Saphire, and it fired right up.

0 Kudos