Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2006 03:00

Internal hard disk drive not found.

Woke up this morning, made a hot cup of coffee, pressed the on button on my Latitude D505.
Rub my eyes a bit, and was frieghtened by a loud ugly, sounding beep. Its never that loud so I knew something was unual.
Only one message on the screen, "internal hard disk drive not found.
I never thought my laptop could break me down to tears. All I could think of was the photos that I never got around to saving on a backup diskdrive. I turn it off, took out the battery, restarted and, well same error message. 
I picked myself up, went to work. When I came back, I decided to try again and by the miricle of god, it booted up!!

So, I'm threw saving all my files and work and would like to ask for some advice.

What should I start looking for? How do I find the cause? Is my drive dying a slow death? 

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 13:00

by the way... Im have two dell laptops... is why you see two login names...

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 13:00

Happened again this morning. I had been looking over the forum, looking at different posts the day before and one mentioned something about the CDROM not sitting correctly. I could not imagine how this effect the hard drive, but desperate times calls for..., well you know what I mean. I was willing to try anything. I remove the CDROM and placed it back into the laptop, restarted the laptop. It booted up.
What the heck is happening. This is crazy.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2006 00:00

thanks much, will try!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 4th, 2006 00:00

Power on, F12, Dell diagnostics, extended test, hard drive.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2006 13:00

Tried the diagnostics F12. All tests past. I even tried the hard drive test twice. Still passed.
Again this morning, I get a message that there is no boot device. Three days in a row. Always in the morning.
I turn it off and try again, then miraculously, it boots. The laptop is in my den. Its always a cozy 70 degrees, no extreme tempertures.

Is it time to send in the laptop for some type of repair?

5 Posts

October 5th, 2006 00:00

Well, its not just in the morning. It just happened moments ago, and its evening.
This time I tried to run the diagnostics F12 before the laptop displayed the error message. It started to run tests but then the diagnostics stopped and asked me insert and boot up with the drivers and utlities CD disk. I pressed "o" for Ok and then the laptop proceed to boot up normally. Go figure?
It seems to me that my boot partition is corrupted? 

5 Posts

October 6th, 2006 00:00

Iv'e uninstalled McAfee completely and it hasn't happened at all since. I loaded the software about a week and half ago.
Coincidence?

5 Posts

October 6th, 2006 23:00

Well, I can no longer report to you from other laptop, hence why this message is from Crushbone.
I turned on the laptop this morning, and it started to make noise like a garbage disposal trying to chug down a dozen potatoes. Yes, it was load. So, dialing support now... sigh...

over and out.

September 14th, 2008 04:00

hey i am currently having the problem you're describing, not every morning, but whenever it's not attended to for about 15 mins or more. did you end up calling the support # to get it fixed? are there any tips you could let me in on for this problem?

thanks

No Events found!