JanetBiggar
1 Nickel

Internal hard disk drive not found,...

Jump to solution

Hello Dell Community,

I have not posted in a long time, however this group has been great helping me in the past.  The people who helped me last year may recall that I am a non-computer person (veterinarian by profession) and I do volunteer work in South Africa with male youth (15 - 22 years old) mainly academic support.  I use older donated laptops with which I occasionally run into technical issues.

So after reading the info below my question will be: is there anything I can/should do OR is it most likely my HDD is shot and I should simply order a replacement? 

My latest issue is with a Dell Latitude D630 which is about 7-9 years old.  It has been working fine for the youth and last week he was watching physics videos with no issues.  When he turned it on this week he got this message AND he heard a tick-tick sound (which I don't currently hear now that I have it):

Internal hard disk drive not found
To resolve this issue, try to reset the drive.  

No bootable devices --strike F1 to retry, F2 for set up utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I removed the battery and reset the hard drive (I did this three times just in case, after turning it on after each time to see if all was fine), but still got the same message above.

I also tried F1, no go.  I did try F2 simply to make sure i could get in there and all was fine. Then I did press F5.

The first message I got was:

Error Code 0141.
Msg: Error Code 2000-0141
Msg: no drive detected.
The given error code and message can be *** by Dell Technical support to help diagnose the problem.
Do you want to continue testing?

I hit "Y" and it continued, all the things I could see in the back ground said Pass, but the final message was:

Pre-boot System Assessment complete. No diagnostic utility partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system.

I did reboot and still the original message came up.

I changed the boot order such that USB was above HDD just to see if my Linux Lite bootable USB would fire up - but no go, the above first message simply showed again...maybe that's not rocket science that the bootable USB didn't launch, but I thought it was worth a try Smiley Wink

NOTE-I do by the way have a Dell Diagnostics CD I could run if it will provide any other info...I think not...

Thanks in Advance,

Janet

0 Kudos
3 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: Internal hard disk drive not found,...

Jump to solution

Your hard drive has failed -- you need a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive.

0 Kudos
JanetBiggar
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks ein63.

I will see what I can find on amazon.com and have a friend bring it over so I can replace it. I have a follow up question that perhaps you would answer. I had planned to change the OS from Win XP to Linux lite 3.4 which I have on a USB. Must I go through the hassle of reloading WIn XP to then change things over via the LL USB..? Or provided my boot order had the USB before the HD will my USB launch simply once the drive is inserted?

Thanks,

Janet

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Thanks ein63.

I will see what I can find on amazon.com and have a friend bring it over so I can replace it. I have a follow up question that perhaps you would answer. I had planned to change the OS from Win XP to Linux lite 3.4 which I have on a USB. Must I go through the hassle of reloading WIn XP to then change things over via the LL USB..? Or provided my boot order had the USB before the HD will my USB launch simply once the drive is inserted?

Thanks,

Janet

Buy a 7200 rpm hard drive. Make sure it is 2.5" and not 3.5" which are for desktop PCs.
You don't need to re-install Windows XP to install Linux Lite.
Simply insert your bootable USB stick with Linux Lite into a USB port.
Turn on the D639. Press F12 (may have to press a few time) until you see the One-Time Boot Menu.
Choose USB Storage Device.
I use Linux a lot and I love it.
0 Kudos