Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2013 02:00

Is the colour of SATA cables significant?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the colour of SATA data cables is significant?

I have a new Dell Vostro 270 MT and I've taken an old HDD from my old PC and installed it in the new one.  The new machine didn't have a spare SATA data cable so I took one from the old machine.  In both machines the data cables were blue for connecting to the HDD and orange for connecting to the DVD drive.  

I had to reuse the orange cable from the old machine because the blue one wasn't long enough.  Everything seems fine, the old HDD is working nicely in the new machine.  

I cannot see anything on the internet that implies there could be a difference.  It just seemed odd that Dell have been using the same colour scheme on two different models several years apart.  My concern is that in ignorance, I may be doing something daft.

Can anyone shed light on this?  Thanks.

3.1K Posts

September 21st, 2013 05:00

Hi Jackdaw13,

SATA cables are available in different colors (red, blue, orange). Dell uses orange and blue as standard for most of the systems.

Technically speaking, there is no difference and doesn't matter what color they are. The functionality remains the same for all of them.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2013 07:00

Thanks Appu, that puts my mind at rest.

A

3.1K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Jackdaw13,

Glad that you've found the information helpful. Do reach out the forums in case you have any questions in the future.

No Events found!