Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2011 15:00

Issues with TSSTcorp DVD Drive (Dell Inspiron 1501)

Recently I have been encountering problems with my TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H drive. At first it would take a very long time to read discs, sometimes CDs but mostly it seemed to have problems with DVDs. After numerous ejects and reloading the disc, it would, however, end up working. The drive is still recognized by Windows, and right-clicking through to properties informs me that both devices (Fujitsu MHW212BH and the aforementioned TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H) are working properly.

As of last night it stopped working completely, I probably ejected/pushed the DVD tray in 10+ times to no avail. The disc just kept spinning and grinding away, but the computer failed to recognize/read the content. I've tried various discs and nothing seems to work. I tried updating the driver via a download (TSST TS-L632H slim 8x DVD+-RW - DW30 A09) from the Dell website but all it seemed to do was change the drive from DVD-R/W to DVD-RAM. I took the drive out last night, blew some dust off of it and put it back in, but now it doesn't seem to work at all, i.e. Windows still recognizes its presence but it won't eject from the computer, and it doesn't do its usual spins on start-up.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP SP3, purchased August 2007.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 20th, 2011 17:00

Here are some reviews. The portable ones are slow and just sort of cheap.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 12th, 2011 11:00

Hi RappingFros,

Please run the Dell diagnostics on your drive. To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Select Boot to utility partition.

3. Select Test System.

4. Select Custom Test.

5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.

6. Insert a CD or DVD.

7. Click Run Tests.

8. Write down any error messages.

June 16th, 2011 22:00

Hi Osprey4, thanks for responding! Unfortunately I can't eject the drive anymore to put a CD/DVD in there for testing purposes...I'm pretty lost. Regardless, I tried running the Diagnostics, but after hitting F12 I'm not sure what to do - it just gives me a list of different things that I can boot from (Hard Drive, USB, CD/DVD drive, etc.). I'm not sure how to perform your step #2. I went down to Diagnostics but I don't think it worked as you described.

I'm considering buying a new external DVD drive. Another question - if I wanted to format my computer, would I be able to access the Windows XP setup CD in the F12 boot menu via my external DVD drive?

Sorry for all the questions!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 18th, 2011 04:00

Ok, if the drive is not even opening, then I would guess it's time to replace the thing. A replacement internal drive is only going to cost maybe $50-60, so that would be my recommendation. An external drive sort of defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

June 18th, 2011 12:00

My apologies, I should have clarified myself better before. My laptop doesn't actually leave my desk anymore, the battery died long ago and I just never bothered to replace it, so I'm not too concerned about portability at this point. Seeing as how it's already pretty old, I'll be replacing it within 2-3 years, probably with a netbook + desktop combination. That's why I'm leaning towards an external DVD drive, so that I can use it in the future with the netbook that I will inevitably buy.

From the looks of things the external drives I've been looking at are both cheaper and from more reputable brands, so I figure it's a win-win that way. Sorry for the confusion! Regarding my previous post, do you know if I'd be able to boot from an external DVD drive in order to format my computer via the Windows XP reinstallation CD? And do you know of any particularly good brands for external DVD drives?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 18th, 2011 18:00

Yes, you should be able to boot from an external DVD drive, but just to be sure, check when you get the new drive.

As far as brand, I think they're all about the same. There are "portable" type drives that run off USB power only. I would NOT get one of those.

June 19th, 2011 22:00

Thanks, I will be sure to check. Just been browsing NewEgg's external DVD drives and I haven't found any that can be plugged into the wall, only USB-powered ones...may I ask why you don't recommend them?

June 21st, 2011 01:00

That's great, thanks very much for all your help again. That chart is really helpful.

No Events found!