Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2012 16:00

Jumper settings and more

Hi,

First off, I'm bad with computers, a newbe.  I have a Dell Dimension 4600 (2003 or 2004)

I am adding a new hard drive, which I got today.  I want to keep the old drive in, because I will be cloning it.  What I need to know is, do I keep the old drive in the slot where it is now, or do I move it into the other slot.  Also, jumper settings, do I do anything with the old drive, and what should I set the new drive to.  The new drive has, Slave, Master w/Slave present, and single or Master, I'm thinking Master w/Slave present.  The old drive has, DS (master), CS Enabled, and No jumper = DS (Slave).........

Once the drives are in and all set, I have a CD which a Dell rep copied for me, I'm thinking the disk has some important info on it, will it run and let me know what to do, as far as cloning the old drive, or is there something I need to do first, anything else I need to know

Thanks a lot

Bill

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2012 17:00

Leave the original drive where it is, jumpered as it is (cable select).  Dell doesn't provide cloning software - but many drive manufacturers do.

The new drive should be jumpered cable select as well.  Just make sure you DO NOT boot the system with both drives in it the first time  you restart after cloning.  Remove the original drive and boot the system with only the new drive in its place.

January 26th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for getting back.  So I leave the setting where it is? How do I know it's jumpered?   Is it on the end, next to power.  When do I hook up the old drive to clone, the next time I start up, don't I need both drives to clone?  I'm stupid :)

January 26th, 2012 22:00

I've been doing a lot of reading to help me.  I still don't know if I need to hook up both hard drives, and turn the computer on, and then run acronis to clone my old hard drive to the new one.  To many questions, very frustrating!!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2012 10:00

picturethis62

First you need to install the new IDE hard drive as the secondary [Slave] after setting the jumpers to the Cable select [CS] setting.

How to install a second IDE hard drive. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

System Setup.

After the physical installation of the hard drive, check in the setup, that the hard drive is set to auto [on] and in order for windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

The Primary [Master] hard drive is connected to the end connector of the primary IDE data cable and the Secondary [Slave] to the middle connector.

After cloning the hard drive, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable to the new drive, making the new hard drive the Master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transfered to the new hard drive.

Bev.

January 27th, 2012 15:00

Thanks Shesagordie,

The only thing I don't understand is what you posted below, on one you said install it as a secondary (slave) and on the other as a Primary (Master)  

Not sure what that means, I already have both drives in, I just wont connect the old drive till later, right now I have the data cable connected to the new drive, the end part on the cable, is that right?  If that is all ok, then I can start it up?

First you need to install the new IDE hard drive as the secondary [Slave] after setting the jumpers to the Cable select [CS] setting.

The Primary [Master] hard drive is connected to the end connector of the primary IDE data cable and the Secondary [Slave] to the middle connector.

Thanks again

Bill

January 27th, 2012 15:00

I just tried to boot, but it wont, how do I set the new drive to secondary, it's telling me it's Master.........any idea why it wont boot

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2012 16:00

I just tried to boot, but it wont, how do I set the new drive to secondary, it's telling me it's Master.........any idea why it wont boot

picturethis62

Already answered in my other posts.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

picturethis62

Are the jumpers set correctly?

Please describe how you installed the new drive.

Unless a new hard drive has windows installed on it, it will not boot, as the drive is blank.

Bev.

ok, another thing :)  I noticed I have 39 pin, would I need the 40 pin, as I read somewhere

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Thanks Shesagordie,

The only thing I don't understand is what you posted below, on one you said install it as a secondary (slave) and on the other as a Primary (Master)  

Not sure what that means, I already have both drives in, I just wont connect the old drive till later, right now I have the data cable connected to the new drive, the end part on the cable, is that right?  If that is all ok, then I can start it up?

The Primary [Master] hard drive is connected to the end connector of the primary IDE data cable and the Secondary [Slave] to the middle connector.

Thanks again

Bill

picturethis62

You must install the hard drive you are cloning from as the 'Master' and connected to the connector at end of the primary IDE cable and the new hard drive you are cloning too, is connected to the middle connector that will make it the secondary hard drive, AKA Slave.

All the jumpers need to be set to 'Cable Select'.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 27th, 2012 17:00

ok, another thing :)  I noticed I have 39 pin, would I need the 40 pin, as I read somewhere

picturethis62

You need a 18" 40-pin, 80 conductor [wire], IDE ribbon cable, same as the cable shown HERE

Bev.

Edit. The last time, I installed a second IDE hard drive in a Dimension 4600, I had to replace the factory installed IDE data cable, with a new 80 wire, 40-pin cable to get the drive recognized.

January 29th, 2012 14:00

ok, no it's not installed, do I boot up with the disk in it........I'm getting : Diskette drive 0 seek failure, and, Strike F1 to retry boot

Sorry for all the dumb questions

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2012 15:00

picturethis62

Have you installed the 'old' hard drive you are cloning from, as the 'Master', this needs to be connected to the end of primary IDE data cable and then see if the computer will boot from it!

Regards to the 'Diskette drive 0 seek failure', if there's no floppy drive installed, check in the system setup, to see if the Diskette Drive is set to 'Not Installed'.

Bev.

January 29th, 2012 18:00

I'm sorry Bev,

Sorry for being a pain and making you repeat yourself so often.

Didn't want to post over there.  This will be the last time I attempt to do something like this, and I'm very close to stopping this one.  I guess it would be like a guy without flying lessons,  trying to fly a plane :)

After figuring out some of the other problems, thanks to you, I have now installed Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0  and it looks as if it is moving my old drive to the new, looks like this will take a while, at 7% and slow go :)

Appreciate all of your help.  If I do get this done, it will be a HUGE accomplishment for me, think I will take a class some time very soon, as frustrating as it is, it is very interesting and I like it :)

Thanks again

Bill

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2012 19:00

picturethis62

Bill,

Hope it works out, please post a heads up on the outcome.

Bev.

No Events found!