Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Re: Jumper settings and more

I just tried to boot, but it wont, how do I set the new drive to secondary, it's telling me it's Master.........any idea why it wont boot

picturethis62

Already answered in my other posts.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

ok, another thing 🙂  I noticed I have 39 pin, would I need the 40 pin, as I read somewhere

picturethis62

You need a 18" 40-pin, 80 conductor [wire], IDE ribbon cable, same as the cable shown HERE

Bev.

Edit. The last time, I installed a second IDE hard drive in a Dimension 4600, I had to replace the factory installed IDE data cable, with a new 80 wire, 40-pin cable to get the drive recognized.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

ok, no it's not installed, do I boot up with the disk in it........I'm getting : Diskette drive 0 seek failure, and, Strike F1 to retry boot

Sorry for all the dumb questions

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

picturethis62

Have you installed the 'old' hard drive you are cloning from, as the 'Master', this needs to be connected to the end of primary IDE data cable and then see if the computer will boot from it!

Regards to the 'Diskette drive 0 seek failure', if there's no floppy drive installed, check in the system setup, to see if the Diskette Drive is set to 'Not Installed'.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm sorry Bev,

Sorry for being a pain and making you repeat yourself so often.

Didn't want to post over there.  This will be the last time I attempt to do something like this, and I'm very close to stopping this one.  I guess it would be like a guy without flying lessons,  trying to fly a plane 🙂

After figuring out some of the other problems, thanks to you, I have now installed Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0  and it looks as if it is moving my old drive to the new, looks like this will take a while, at 7% and slow go 🙂

Appreciate all of your help.  If I do get this done, it will be a HUGE accomplishment for me, think I will take a class some time very soon, as frustrating as it is, it is very interesting and I like it 🙂

Thanks again

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

picturethis62

Bill,

Hope it works out, please post a heads up on the outcome.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Ok, the transfer took a couple of hrs, and after all that, seems to be running good.  It still does have it's slow moments, as did the old drive, but not as bad, I guess it would be time to install some new RAM  🙂   Is there anything you think I should run or install, as far as drivers or anything to make it run better, or a good virus scan, I think we have a program called Paretologic running on it, what do you think of them?  Anyway, besides that, everything is good, thanks again for all you help

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

picturethis62

You now have the new hard drive running as the primary C: / boot drive?

How much memory is installed?

Do you have a AGP video card installed, or using the integrated graphics?

Regards to Paretologic, I don't like it and never have used it.

Try using the seven tips listed HERE to make the 4600 run faster.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'll look into all that stuff, thanks again

and to answer your questions, yes it is booting as my primary C and I installed 250gb

as far as the AGP video card, hmmm not sure, will have to look into that.  For that computer, what would be a good

card

thanks Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

picturethis62

Bill,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125368

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001