Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2012 16:00

Jumper settings and more

Hi,

First off, I'm bad with computers, a newbe.  I have a Dell Dimension 4600 (2003 or 2004)

I am adding a new hard drive, which I got today.  I want to keep the old drive in, because I will be cloning it.  What I need to know is, do I keep the old drive in the slot where it is now, or do I move it into the other slot.  Also, jumper settings, do I do anything with the old drive, and what should I set the new drive to.  The new drive has, Slave, Master w/Slave present, and single or Master, I'm thinking Master w/Slave present.  The old drive has, DS (master), CS Enabled, and No jumper = DS (Slave).........

Once the drives are in and all set, I have a CD which a Dell rep copied for me, I'm thinking the disk has some important info on it, will it run and let me know what to do, as far as cloning the old drive, or is there something I need to do first, anything else I need to know

Thanks a lot

Bill

January 30th, 2012 15:00

Ok, the transfer took a couple of hrs, and after all that, seems to be running good.  It still does have it's slow moments, as did the old drive, but not as bad, I guess it would be time to install some new RAM  :)   Is there anything you think I should run or install, as far as drivers or anything to make it run better, or a good virus scan, I think we have a program called Paretologic running on it, what do you think of them?  Anyway, besides that, everything is good, thanks again for all you help

Bill

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 30th, 2012 16:00

picturethis62

You now have the new hard drive running as the primary C: / boot drive?

How much memory is installed?

Do you have a AGP video card installed, or using the integrated graphics?

Regards to Paretologic, I don't like it and never have used it.

Try using the seven tips listed HERE to make the 4600 run faster.

Bev.

February 1st, 2012 10:00

I'll look into all that stuff, thanks again

and to answer your questions, yes it is booting as my primary C and I installed 250gb

as far as the AGP video card, hmmm not sure, will have to look into that.  For that computer, what would be a good

card

thanks Bill

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 1st, 2012 11:00

No Events found!