Hi
Please, can someone tell me where to find Firmware update v. 2.02
for my LG DVD ROM-DRN8080B
Read that it solves the reading errors of DVD+R/RW:s

regards:

3.1K Posts

August 28th, 2003 21:00

Rostnes,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Look under the Downloads tab.  Choose the Removable Media Storage Devices category.

2 Posts

August 29th, 2003 10:00

Thanks.
Is it "HLDS DRN 8080B" i need to my LG DRN8080B.
If so what does HLDS stands for ???

Regards: rostnes

529 Posts

August 29th, 2003 12:00

@rostnes wrote:

Thanks.
Is it "HLDS DRN 8080B" i need to my LG DRN8080B.
If so what does HLDS stands for ???

Regards: rostnes

I don't remember, but I think LG sold off their optical drive division to another company, or HLDS is a joint venture.

Either way, HLDS DGN-8080B = LG DRN-8080B

Goldstar could simply have renamed themselves... Again. LG stands for Lucky Goldstar, who used to sell products in the U.S. under the "Goldstar" brand name. Note that you don't see "Goldstar" products any more, they try to hide the fact that they're Goldstar by simply labeling everything LG.

37 Posts

August 29th, 2003 20:00

The really ironic part though is that while the download is labeled with the HLDS brand, the update program itself displays "LG Drive Update Utility" when running. Odd....

Oh, and I've seen tons of Goldstar products, but they're all air conditioners, microwave ovens, and other home appliances...

529 Posts

September 2nd, 2003 11:00

@nanakivii wrote:

The really ironic part though is that while the download is labeled with the HLDS brand, the update program itself displays "LG Drive Update Utility" when running. Odd....

Oh, and I've seen tons of Goldstar products, but they're all air conditioners, microwave ovens, and other home appliances...

Ah. I know I haven't seen a Goldstar TV or VCR in MANY years.

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2003 19:00

I have an Inspiron 4100 with the same drive. I am living in the Netherlands and downloaded the latest firmware version A04. The following is mentioned The update autodetects the LG DRN-8080B 8X Slim DVD-ROM and it automatically updates the firmware. I did not work for me. I did not recognize my drive. I have Windows XP Pro.

What to do ?

3 Posts

September 4th, 2003 20:00

I don't find it at downloads.  Receiving error message "DVD-ROM drive(s) have not been configured to DMA"  "DVD playback performance may be degraded by not selecting DMA on the playback drive"  Using Windows 2000 professional.  Computer originally configured with Windows 98.

2.5K Posts

September 5th, 2003 12:00

To All,
The HLDS is a LG drive.
One proof of this is if you look for "HLDS DRN 8080B" you come up with the following article.
Why does my Lucky Goldstar CDRW drive work with CDR media but not CDRW media?
You can find the 2.02 firmware update here.
You can find the 2.03 firmware update here.
I tried searching the web to find out what HLDS stands for, but I could not find anything.
Maybe its the division of LG that makes the drives, because I also found LG makes cell phones
and a bunch of other stuff.

Rayren,
Try updating firmware in order.
If you have the 1.0X or 2.0X, then update to 2.02, then update to 2.03.
Also, try removing and reseating the drive to make sure it has a good connection.
Remember, you have to boot to the firmware update floppy, you cannot run it from Windows.

Gdeane,
DMA should automatically be enabled in Win2000 and XP.
If you have installed the Intel Application Accelerator software, remove it from the system.

529 Posts

September 5th, 2003 18:00

@gdeane wrote:
I don't find it at downloads. Receiving error message "DVD-ROM drive(s) have not been configured to DMA" "DVD playback performance may be degraded by not selecting DMA on the playback drive" Using Windows 2000 professional. Computer originally configured with Windows 98.

Sometimes Windows will randomly disable DMA on an IDE channel for no particular reason.

Go to Device Manager, select the Properties of either the Primary IDE channel (for fixed bay drives) or Secondary (for modular bay drives), and check to make sure that in addition to "Use DMA when available" is selected, it does indicate that it is using DMA instead of PIO.

If it indicates PIO, delete the appropriate IDE channel from Device Manager and reboot. Windows will redetect the IDE channel and SHOULD re-enable DMA.

Between my three machines, this happens to be once every 3-4 months under Win2k and XP. Which drive it affects is unpredictable. Took me forever to figure out why my system was so slow the first time it happened (hit the HD in my desktop). Never happened under 98, and Linux always detects the proper DMA mode for my drives at bootup.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2003 13:00

With thanks to FNDarkone I could upgrade the firmware without a floppy.

I burned the pxfer2.exe and s2de202.bin and s2de202.mot files on a CD-RW. Then I booted Inspiron 4100 with Dell Drivers and Utilities CD. After booting I changed the Dell Driver cd with the one I made by myself.

copy pxfer2.exe c:      c: in this case was the ram-disk

copy s2de202.bin c:

copy s2de202.mot c:

c:

pxfer2 s2de202.mot      and followed instructions

I also did this with the latest firmware, because within windows it did not work.

Message Edited by rayren on 09-06-2003 04:58 PM

3 Posts

September 6th, 2003 21:00

Thanks.  Found the fix on the secondary drive.  But still can't get the Dell Inspiron 5000 Software DVD Decoder program to work.  It always freezes up.  Can I just download another DVD player program?

3 Posts

September 6th, 2003 21:00

Thanks.  Found the fix on the secondary IDE drive.  But still can't get the Dell Inspiron 5000 Software DVD Decoder program to work.  It always freezes up.  Can I just download another DVD player program?

1 Message

September 7th, 2003 14:00

got to this site to sort out all your firmware problems

have a search around the site to find what you want

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

649 Posts

October 28th, 2004 21:00

How exactly did you do this with the newer A04 firmware (R62202)?
The reason I ask is because it contains no .bin files.
Exact procedure would be appreciated.
Thanks!
No Events found!