C

February 7th, 2012 17:00

Laptop XPS 15, CD/DVD drive not working

System Dell™ XPS™ L501X

Optical Drive - HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT30N
 Vendor Hitachi-LG Data Storage
 Model Number HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CT30N 
 Firmware Revision A100

The Drive is not working, drivers are installed and OK, Window 7 Device Manager see the drive and says is OK.

Windows explored sees it (D:) and can open tray.

Divers installed are cdrom.sys and PxHlpa64.sys from Sonic Solutions,

Run Dell PC-Doctor diagnostic, all pass, but fails when ask to insert a CD/DVD.

It sees no CD/DVD.

I can hear the optical head moving, but the disk is not spinning.

So the problem is that the disk motor is not spinning.

Updated the firmware to  A101. no change.

Unistalled driver and reboot, so will reinstall. no change.

Any suggestion?

10.9K Posts

February 8th, 2012 08:00

Did you run the Dell Diagnostics that are on your hard drive or on the Drivers and Utilities disc to test the drive?  Press F12 at startup while the blue Dell is on the screen.  This will take you to the boot menu where the Utility Partition or Diagnostics will be a choice.  Run the Custom Test for the drive and have a data CD or data DVD (not music CD or movie DVD) in the drive for the read test.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2012 17:00

Yes, I follow the steps, everything passes, then it open the tray and ask to insert a data CD, I close the tray, I hear a short noise, I assume is the optical head with lenses moving, then open the try again, it did not see the CD, I do not hear the CD spinning at all, not even for short time.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2012 17:00

Odd that if the motor is not spinning, the diagnostics should detect it.

10.9K Posts

February 8th, 2012 18:00

So that I may better understand ...... During the Diagnostics read test you had a data disc in the drive and the Diagnostics read it?  Is this correct?

5 Posts

February 8th, 2012 19:00

Yes I put a good data CD.

At the Confidence Test, read test or seek test a prompt says : No Disck or can not read from the disk in your drive, you must insert .... ... try again? I press yes, or re-open and close, tryied other CD, but the prompt keeps coming on.

10.9K Posts

February 8th, 2012 20:00

When this happens during the Diagnostics Read Test, it means the laser has failed.  The drive needs to be replaced.  If you are under warranty, contact Dell with the results of the Diagnostics for a replacement drive.

June 20th, 2012 18:00

Hi I got the same problem my is a dell lap top blue Inspiron DVD Rewriter model :GT10N rom ver.A109 FDA No 0622198-027 manufactured June 2010 any I want to buy one and if there's a better one and latest one out there that will fit straight in etc and if it's a blu ray player etc anyway how much are they from the same one that I got to the new latest ones ?? Please can you let me know thanks

5 Posts

June 20th, 2012 19:00

My problem is that it was a bad DVD reader, guess laser not working and therefore did con detect DVD, I replace it and works fine now ;)

This was the replacement, (I upgraded it to BR burnet too)

Panasonic UJ240

Model no: UJ240 AFDB-B

Dell P/N OHJJOO

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

cost less that 200$

This should be OK too:

BT10N 6X 3D Blu-Ray Burner Writer BD-RE DVDRW Internal SATA Drive GH5V9

1 Message

April 29th, 2019 05:00

Is this compatible with Dell XPS L502X? Internal 6X 3D Blu-ray Burner 9.5mm Super Slim SATA Optical Drive M-DISC HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU20N BD-R DL TL QL 50GB 100GB Blue-ray Movies Player Dual Layer 8X DVD RW Writer Dell P/N 0R4R0J
No Events found!