Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2013 13:00

Latitude E5420 Killing SSDs

My Latitude E5420 Purchased in December 2011 killed the first SSD right before my warranty was up (less than one year). It wouldn't register a boot device and hd would not show up in bios. Now it seems like it is happening again with the replacement drive they sent only 7 months ago! The last few days I had several   blue screen shutdowns followed by no boot device messages. Dell Diagnostics on bootup showed no lcd cable (always does) and then error code 2000:0142 for the hard drive.  I pulled the battery and brought it into the office today and everything is working fine? No issues showing in diagnostics, and the s.m.a.r.t data looks ok though all attributes show pre-failure as the type.

This laptop is used in an office setting usually hooked up to a docking station for mainly office applications (no gaming, video rendering, etc.) so isn't under heavy strain. Is anyone else having issues like this? We have 5 or 6 of these same laptops in our office so hopefully this is just a fluke.  A decent business unit should certainly last longer than 1.5+ years before needing two new drives. We will have to look at other options for our future needs if this is the reliability we can expect. This is too bad because all in all it was a good laptop, just has one very major flaw.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 14:00

What OS is on the system?

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 14:00

Windows 7 64 bit

3 Posts

July 26th, 2013 14:00

This unit is still running well (3 days now) is there anything else that could casue a false 2000:0142 error on the hd? This is my main work computer so need reliability.  I wish Dell would have supplied a better quality ssd as a replacement (it was a liteon) since the oem one only lasted 11 months under normal office use but you take what you get. Since we spent a decnt amount of money on this machine I hate to have to buy a new ssd after 18 months of use but that maybe whats nbecessary.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2013 10:00

The SSD market is about where hard drives were 20-25 years ago -- there are major differences in reliability between brands.  Unfortunately none of them have been around long enough to develop a predictable track record, and the technology is constantly changing.

Though it might seem counter-intuitive that a device with moving parts (a standard hard drive) would be more reliable than one with none (SSD), it's actually in general, quite true - hard drives are more reliable than SSDs at the moment.

No Events found!