Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2017 10:00

Linear Read Test

Hi,

I recently ran a full (online)  system diagnostics test on my XPS 13 9360 because I was having issues with my WiFi. While everything appeared to be okay with my Wifi card, the test recorded an issue with my SSD (PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB: Linear Read Test failed). The test suggested that I get a replacement sent to me, which I then requested.

However, running the test several times again caused the test to pass sometimes fail at other times.

There isn't much info on what the Linear Read Test actually does and running the extended tests via One Time Boot Menu -> Diagnostics showed no issues. I have not noticed any issues with the drive and SMART tells me that everything is fine. I read somewhere else that someone had their drive replaced three times and still had the same diagnostic error. So I guess my question is what does the Linear Read Test actually test for and if it is actually necessary to replace my drive.

tl;dr Ran the online Hard Drive diagnostics test, Linear Read Test failed. Ran it again, it passed. What does the test do and do I have to replace my SSD?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 24th, 2017 17:00

Did you already request a replacement drive? The Linear Read Test is basically a performance based test and if it is showing up as an error it means that the drive is performing under spec. It could be a fluke, but I would think it is possibly an intermittent failure. If you run a 3rd party performance test in Windows does it show anything unexpected (you don't have to do this but could be interesting)? You might see the test performing slower than expected etc. Also, does it give you an error code when it fails the test? I can try to double check just to make sure I am not missing anything.

Best regards,

Brad 

6 Posts

March 25th, 2017 05:00

Hi Brad,

Thank you for getting back!

I ran the AS SSD Benchmark and received following speeds:

Name: PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB

Firmware:20005A00

Sequential Test:

Read: 1348.50 MB/s

Write: 574.06 MB

Random4K1TTest (1Thread)

Read: 13.67 MB/s

Write: 2.70 MB/s            <----------- Seems very slow!

Random4K64TTest (64 Threads)

Read: 748.53 MB/s

Write: 151.23 MB/s

AccTimeTes>

Read: 0.099 ms

Write: 1.619 ms   <------- Seems very slow

I'm not sure if this is important for you but the Score was:

Read: 897

Write: 211

Total: 1525

So I am not sure what speeds I am supposed to expect, but the Random Write Test with 1 thread seems to be very slow. I ran the online Dell diagnostics test again several times and it passed every time.

I did order the replacement as soon as I received the red banner telling me that my disk is failing and that I should exchange it instantly. I actually received the replacement disk today and it is a LITE-ON CX2, so different manufacturer. I can't find any benchmarks on either of these drives. Should I expect better performance from the replacement?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 27th, 2017 13:00

Glad to help! I would definitely try the replacement drive and see if it changes anything on the benchmark, the scores you have pointed out seem low. Let me know if you have any questions with the install and definltely update me on how it goes w/ the replacement drive. I would expect better scores/performance out of the new drive. 

Best regards,

Brad

4 Posts

February 9th, 2018 10:00

Hi, I'm not answering any questions. I actually have a similar problem and I've been trying to figure it out since Wednesday. I did a Windows update on the 4th of February and installed a software before restarting my system. When it tried to sign in, it showed the blue screen and restarted. This happened two more times, then it said "No bootable device" when it tried to come on. I use a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 with two hard drives. One SanDisk Z400s 128gb SSD drive and a Western Digital 1tb harddrive. The drive with the problem is the SSD drive. I ran an offline diagnostic test and the self test for the drive was unsuccessful. Eventually,  my system came back on, but there are a lot of errors- start and cortana won't come on, trying to run any windows store app shows me a "Class not registered" error message. I ran another system scan when the system was on- I had to create a local account for it to work- and used the Dell Support Assist app for this. For my Ssd, there were two linear read tests. The first one was passed, the second wasn't. It says WSD02- GVJ and it showed an error code "2000-0142" when I ran the offline diagnostics test with a validation 110966. I haven't been able to get much information on all of these do I'm hoping to get some help. My warranty isn't up yet so I'm hoping that would come in handy, I've avoided giving any of the technicians at my school in case that tampers with my warranty anyway. What can I Do? I haven't shut down my system, since I turned it on. For fear of messing things up somehow, or the system never coming on again. What can I do?
No Events found!