Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2009 01:00

Loading PBR for descriptive 2...done bad pbr" - need to get files!

Please help! I searched the forum and have not seen where anyone found a solution that saves files.

I have a Dell Dimension 5150/E510. I need to get my files off of it. When I woke up,
I had a back screen that said “Loading PBR for descriptive 2...done bad pbr”

If if I hit a key, it said:

“Reboot and select propter boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key” I can’t get online, or
to safe mode. The only thing I could get to the blue screen where you can change the time, boot order, etc.
I tried switching the order. Did not work.

I brought it to my brother who hooked it up to his computer and tried to fix it with various trial recovery data products;
they were able to scan it, but for some reason, they were not able to get anything. He did say that he has an NTFS and I have a
FAT32

Next, I took it to Best Buy and they said their tools could not read it and that their tool said there were no files on it.
Best Buy also said that the allocation table is corrupt but that the files could indeed be saved. They I would have to
send it in and have their team rebuild the table from the present data.

They said this would cost $1600.00 dollars. But later in the conversation, they said, “…the cheapest I have see it done
is for $500.00” That’s a big difference, so now I am wondering about that. They also said that it would take about a
month for me to get it back after sending it in.

Has anyone seen this problem before? How can I save my files? Has anyone found a solution that got
files off of a comp with this problem?  Do Dell techs still read these boards? I have not logged in in a
while, and I can't even find my old replies from other forum members or from Dell. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 30th, 2009 09:00

It sounds like the drive is very far gone - and you will probably need a data recovery service, which is why their initial quote was so high.  Contact DriveSavers to see what their estimate is.  www.drivesavers.com.

24 Posts

August 30th, 2009 19:00

do you think making a norton  ghost image   will at least save the files?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 31st, 2009 12:00

Paula:

The only way to tell is to try it. Ghost may not even recognize the partition, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

No Events found!