Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2009 14:00

Low Disk Space

I have a laptop inspiron 1525. Recently I began receiving a pop-up message: Low disk space on RECOVERY (D:). Please help me resolve this issue. Also is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future. I would like to take care of this as soon as possible. I am not sure of the severity of the situation.

Thanks for your HELP!!!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 29th, 2009 14:00

The D drive is not a separate drive. It is a partition on your hard drive that was supposed to be left unused. You must have used it for backups, which was a mistake. You will not be able to use the PC Restore image that was on that partition. If you setup windows backup, change the settings so that the D drive is NOT used. Buy an external hard drive to use for backups or stop using Backup program. Just copy your important personal files to dvd or cd, usb thumb drive or an external hard drive. You cannot recover the factory image on the D partition.

September 29th, 2009 16:00

Thanks Mary G

I must appologize I am quite computer handicapped :emotion-10:. So, I really appreciate your help. After your explanation I do understand what happened. Hopefully this is not a silly question, but can the PC Restore image be re-downloaded or remove the backups with the help from  tech support  at Dell?

Debbie G

3 Posts

November 27th, 2009 02:00

Thanks. I have the same problem on a Inspiron 1520 and I understand what I have done wrong and what to do in the future. But how do I stop the error message appearing, the recommended disk clean up does not work because there are no files to delete any more and I cannot just open D: and delete files because I am not allowed to access them. I have tried changing disk partitioning but I can only shrink existing partitions not expand any. I am in a bit of a fix.

Help anyone??

2 Posts

October 29th, 2011 10:00

My D (recovery drive) is also full.  Yes it looks like somehow my backups went there.  How do I clear the D drive once it is full?  How do I prevent the backups from going there in the future?  I tried to delete the files but it said "not enough disk space".  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 29th, 2011 10:00

You need to include your model computer and operating system. To stop Backup from using the D drive, open Backup and change the settings. Buy an external hard drive for backups. Select the external hard drive for all your backups. The backups on the D partition are useless. The backups are on the same hard drive as you are backing up. When the drive fails all the backups are gone too.

No Events found!