bryguy21
2 Iron

MX100 SSD in optiplex 990.

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I restored two optiplex 990's which currently have two drives setup in a raid 1 config. I did a full restore on both machines with a backup/restore bootable usb with the factory.wim, I then installed required applications. Pretty clean untainted install.

After all that I was asked to install SSD drives in these machines (1 for each). The drives are crucial MX100 drives 256 gig. My plan is to do the following.

1. Create a full backup image with the dell backup/restore software on a usb drive (image with all current apps installed). 

2. Go into Bios delete the Raid volume and set the drives to be AHCI (from Raid).

3. Shut down the machine install the MX100 on Sata(0). From what I understand the Optiplex 990  tower does support Sata III on two sata connectors. I assume that is Sata (0 and 1)?

4. Boot off the USB restore to reimage the drive

One of my questions, would it be better to use the Acronis true backup software that came with the SSD to create the restore image? I'm pretty sure the Dell utility should be just fine.

Lastly since the original install that I created was setup with Raid 1. Will this cause any issues when i restore that image to the single SSD drive using AHCI?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
osprey4
8 Krypton

RE: MX100 SSD in optiplex 990.

Jump to solution

Hi Bryguy21,

I assume you've got Windows 7. You should be able to break the RAID in the Ctrl-i utility and clone one drive over to the SSD using the mini Acronis version. I'd recommend that over the Dell utility. Restoring from the recovery image on the USB drive should also work, however.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
osprey4
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Bryguy21,

I assume you've got Windows 7. You should be able to break the RAID in the Ctrl-i utility and clone one drive over to the SSD using the mini Acronis version. I'd recommend that over the Dell utility. Restoring from the recovery image on the USB drive should also work, however.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bryguy21
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Great thanks Osprey4. Yes these are on windows 7.

0 Kudos