8 Krypton

Matshita dvd/BD on XPS 15 only able to read disks from home region

Jump to solution

I have just purchased  an XPS 15 L521x which has a Matshita slot drive for DVD/BD.  I have been using AnyDVD with other laptops to allow me to play DVD/BD disks from all regions.  However, it appears Matshita drives do not allow this.  Before I return the laptop, which is otherwise very nice, I wonder if there is anything that can be done.  For example, could I simply swap in another drive, and would this void the warranty?  Is another possibility to get an external drive and use that?  If I have playback software, does it matter if there are two possible drives?  Would I have to disable one of them?

Thanks

Fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Krypton

RE: Matshita dvd/BD on XPS 15 only able to read disks from home region

Jump to solution

In the end I bought an external DVD/BD USB drive.  Problem solved!  Better visual quality from the Samsung product too as a bonus.

Fred

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Fred.

Ideally the laptops will play discs of the home region. In case you want to play discs of a different region, you need to change the region code. Ensure the given DVD is inserted into the DVD slot.

Please go to Device Manager, right click on DVD/BD drive, from the drop down list click Properties and then click on DVD region.

You can enter a new region and it will also show you how many changes have been. You can make up to 4 changes and then the DVD player will get permanently locked.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.  I understand that, that's why I use AnyDVD software, which gets around that restriction for, it seems, all drives except the one in the XPS.  What about swapping another drive, will it void the warrenty?

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

In the end I bought an external DVD/BD USB drive.  Problem solved!  Better visual quality from the Samsung product too as a bonus.

Fred

0 Kudos