Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2010 15:00

Migrating Dell HD to custom machine

I just purchased a Ins 580 with WIN 7. I took the hard drive out and tried to use it in my custom game machine and it will not boot up. I tried the repair but it still won't boot. Long story as to why but both legal copies of Win XP and 7. So what do I have to change to get rid of the Dell hardware preferences that it is looking for? I have it booted up as a slave in this machine now. I can look at everything but it won't boot. I know I can clear the HD but Dell doesn't send a copy of WIN 7 to reinstall on the new machine. I thought it would be easier to change what it was looking for than get my copy from them, lol

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 29th, 2010 17:00

Hi Randyc411,

You cannot take a hard drive out of one computer, pop it into another computer and expect it to work. In addition, the Windsows 7 license that came with your Inspiron 580 is only licensed for that computer. If you read the EULA, you will see that quite clearly. If you are trying to install Windowsm 7 on your custom gaming machine, you'll need to buy a separate license.

Good luck!

3 Posts

April 29th, 2010 18:00

What is licensed for"that Computer", be part specific,ie MB/Ram/ or what. What parts do I have to swap before my comp bebomes it? There has to be something it's looking for but what. All parts are interchangeable, just having the drivers and knowing what and where to change.

Thanks

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2010 08:00

Windows setup customizes each installation to the architecture of the computer that you are installing it on.  Moving a drive that is bootable on one computer to another computer of a different model or manufacturer usually results in a blue screen or other problems.  This is because the drivers loaded with Windows on one machine are usually not the same as the drivers needed for the second machine.  It is sometimes possible to cure this problem with a repair installation using a Windows installation DVD.

That brings up a second problem, however.  Your Dell computer is licensed for the version of Windows that was preinstalled on it.  That license cannot be transferred to a second computer.  If you received a Dell branded Windows re-installation DVD and tried to use it for the repair install, or tried to use it for a new installation, you would find that it would not activate.  The Dell installation DVD has code that examines the BIOS during setup.  If you are installing on the original computer the installation will self activate and not require you to do anything further.  If you attempt to use the DVD on a second, non-Dell, computer, the signature will not be found in the BIOS and if setup runs at all, the installation will demand to be activated (which Microsoft will refuse to do).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 30th, 2010 12:00

The OS license on any Dell is tied to the motherboard and BIOS. It simply will not work on a non-Dell motherboard. You can pretty much change out everything else.

Obviously, there is no problem moving the hard drive from a Dell to any machine, but the OS and installed programs won't work.

No Events found!