Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2009 00:00

Missing Cd drive letter after installing blackberry software to sync

AFter installing blackberry software to sync my blackberry phone, I am missing my E: drive letter. I can't use the drive, either. Doing research on the internet, I found that this is a very common problem, and I installed, from Microsoft, 2 microsoft "fix it" files, and it did not work. There are no upper or lower filters, it is like the drive was never there. It does not show up anywhere on my computer, and putting a cd in does nothing. It does not show up in My Computer, either.

I read somewhere that Microsoft Windows XP Professional has a problem with assigning drive letters.

Is there anyone who can help me fix this? I have no idea what to do now. Thank YOu,

Anna PLummer

VOSTRO 410, Windows XP Professional

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 16th, 2009 05:00

Hi, Anna:

If this is not a upper/lower filter problem, then I would suspect a drive letter conflict. This is common with USB devices, but I've no seen too many instances where an internal drive went missing. Anyway, you can fix this in Disk Management by assigning a higher drive letter, such as G or H, to one of the conflicting devices, preferrably the Blackberry.

Please let me know if that worked.

August 18th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for your help. I changed the drive letters for the blackberry and it's card, and also changed the drive letter for the card reader on my printer, since it was showing up as E: which is what my cd drive used to show up as, and refreshed, rescaned, and nothing happened. I left the E: drive letter open, did not use it, and nothing showed back up. I don't know what else to do.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 18th, 2009 09:00

Disconnect all USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard and reboot. Then check disk management for your CD drive. If you see it there but there's no drive letter assigned, then I would go back and delete the upper and lower filters again.

If you do not see the drive in disk management, then check if this drive is visible in the BIOS.

August 18th, 2009 20:00

I forgot to tell you previously, that the cd drive did not show up under disk management. I will check the bios as you suggested. Thank you.

August 19th, 2009 22:00

Hello,

Thanks for your help, but I can't figure this out. My cd drive does not show up in BIOS! I can't believe it. I contacted Dell on the phone, and they told me the only way to fix this was to redo the operating system. I can't believe this, there has got to be another way. THis is my business computer, and I need both my cd/dvd drives as I am a photographer. The cd drive is not in disk management, either. Could you guide me through getting to the upper and lower filters again? I can't remember, my mind is jumbled right now.

When I told the tech support on the phone my problem with the missing cd drive, and explained to her that I needed it very much to burn cd's, she took control of my computer, went to blackberry.com, downloaded the software (that I had removed), and said, "Look, there is drive E:". It was the Blackberry device. She asked if she had solved my problem, and I said, that we must have misunderstood each other, that I needed my cd drive back,not just the letter E: I couldn't believe it. It was then that she told me I'd have to redo Windows XP, and she asked me if I had any important files on my computer, I said yes, I have many. I really believe there must be another way to get my cd/dvd drive back, I don't care what letter it is assigned. Can anyone help me?

THank You,

Anna Plummer

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 21st, 2009 06:00

Hi, Anna:

Dell tech support is wrong (what a surprise!). If the drive is not visible in the BIOS, then it is definitely not an operating system problem. The next step would be to run the Dell diagnostics in order to prove to Dell what the problem is. The diagnostics bypass the OS so as to evaluate only the hardware. What you're going to find is that the diagnostics cannot access the drive, meaning the drive is dead. Then Dell should replace the drive.

If you call Dell and they continue to blame this on the operating system, please mention that Osprey told you it's not an OS problem. That will generally get results.

2.8K Posts

August 21st, 2009 08:00

deleted due to accidental double post

2.8K Posts

August 21st, 2009 08:00

Anna,
Osprey is correct about Dell tech support being wrong. However, since the CD drive isn't being recognized in BIOS it's a pretty safe bet Dell diagnostics won't detect it either. The usual first step for a problem like this is to physically disconnect and reconnect both the data & power cables from the drive in case either has been affected by what some refer to as 'cable creep.' Reseating connections often fixes problems with devices not being detected by a computer unless there's actually something wrong with the hardware.

Osprey, does Dell tech support really know you well enough & have knowledge of your reputation such that they step their game up when they hear your name? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 04:00

It worked for my stepmother once. :)

No Events found!