Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2006 14:00

Missing/corrupt file

I am new to this forum.  I have been struggling all day and finally set up another old pc to get on here.
I have a dell Dimension 3100.  Switching on yesterday gave the following message:
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
attempt to restore file by starting windows set up using original CD-ROM"

First problem is that this is a new pc and did not come with a cd.  Other options found when troubleshooting on the dell website all seem to assume you have the CD or you can press start in windows

I would be grateful for any help

11.9K Posts

@atomicclio wrote:
I am new to this forum.  I have been struggling all day and finally set up another old pc to get on here.
I have a dell Dimension 3100.  Switching on yesterday gave the following message:
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
attempt to restore file by starting windows set up using original CD-ROM"

First problem is that this is a new pc and did not come with a cd.  Other options found when troubleshooting on the dell website all seem to assume you have the CD or you can press start in windows

I would be grateful for any help

1) Call Dell and request all your CDs.

2) Reboot and hit F12 to run Dell diagnostics on your hard drive.

3 Posts

No, nothing new connected.  I have disconnected all printers, scanners etc as suggested but still no luck.  Hard drive diagnostics have passed. 

I am not overly familiar with compuuter jargon so am finding some of the technical support pages taxing!  I may have to call Dell tomorrow to request the CD.  I think they are only open during office hours

290 Posts

Have you connected any new devices? Try disconnecting everything except the keyboard, monitor, and mouse then re-boot.

Marc

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 14th, 2006 17:00

atomicclio

You can call Dell Technical Support 24/7 @ 1-800-624-9896.

If your system is under warranty, you should be able to obtain all the CD's needed for a manual reinstallation, but you may have to be politely persistent about it

Bev.
No Events found!