drkenrich
1 Copper

Multiple Disk Drives on Inspiron 3847?

Jump to solution

I just bought a new Inspiron 3847 to replace my old Dell with the BSOD.I'm transferring my 2 old hard drives to the new one but seem to be having a problem.

There are 4 SATA sockets.

1.  New 1 Tb HD came with the computer

2.  DVD drive came with the computer

3.  My old Hitachi 2 Tb

4.  My old Seagate 2 Tb

Initially the two old drives weren't seen.

I went into BIOS and changed the drive settings to ATA and #3 shows up and all my data in three different partitions is there. But #4 is still missing.

How do I get this computer to recognize 3 hard drives and 1 DVD on the 4 SATA sockets?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drkenrich
1 Copper

RE: Multiple Disk Drives on Inspiron 3847?

Jump to solution

I found my problem. The second hard drive was the one that got fried in my old Dell. It wouldn't work anywhere, let alone in a 3rd SATA slot. So I don't know if this is still a problem or not, I don't have another HD to put in and test the 3rd SATA slot with.

2 Replies
drkenrich
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I found my problem. The second hard drive was the one that got fried in my old Dell. It wouldn't work anywhere, let alone in a 3rd SATA slot. So I don't know if this is still a problem or not, I don't have another HD to put in and test the 3rd SATA slot with.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi drkenrich,

I assume this is Windows 8.1 with UEFI. I would try disabling secure boot. You really should not need to change the SATA setting to ATA.

0 Kudos