Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 14:00

My D Drive isn't working

I have a 2005 Dimension 3000 desktop and I inserted a disc to download some software and the driver won't read the disc.  I get an error that says there is no disc inserted.  I have tried different types of discs and it won't read any of them.  I use Windows XP.  Should I try uninstalling the driver and re-installing?  The only fear I have is when I go to the download page to try and download the updates (to BIOS and the CD/DVD driver) it tells me EVERY TIME that internet explorer cannot find the page!  I am logged in to my Dell account.  Device manager also tells me that the drive is "working properly".  Any help?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 17:00

Hi, lbisson:

You need to test your drive using the Dell diagnostics. Hit F12 when you boot the computer and choose Utility partition. Pick Custom test, and you can run the READ TEST on your CD drive. You need to put a disc in the drive to run the test.

If you get a read failure, then your drive may need to be replaced. Let me know what happens, and any messages you get when you run the test.

No Events found!