I have a dell latitude d600 & yesterday I was using it & it went dead on me. I turned it back on & then it wouldn't turn back on. It got to the dell screen & never loaded up the windows screen. I use windows xp professionals. I tried to recover the computer & everything. I went to do the chkdsk /r & it says "the specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive." what do i do? I tried everything possible.
It's possible your hard drive has failed.
Grab your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
6. Select Test System.
7. Select Custom Test.
7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
9. Click Run Tests.
10. Write down any error messages.
ok i seen to have same prob. bought this dell lattitude from a friend. was good for about a month then poof os wont startup. does a post then blank screen with cursor. was saying no boot available. now just bk to blank screen with cursor.
i want to smash a dell