Hey I have a Dell inspiron n4050 laptop and I formatted it a while back to factory defaults. It took me a long time to figure out to how to format it. I pressed F12 upon booting the computer since I couldn't get past the booting screen without it getting blue screen and rebooting and then an endless loop. I put in the format disk that I received from DELL, and I set the computer to factory defaults.Later, upon using the computer, I tried to watch a DVD and I received this error. This happens with every CD or DVD I insert. I tried using the Fix It tool Microsoft has and it was only able to read DVDs (like movies but not games or anti-virus programs) ,but it they only worked when I started the program (it was not a permanent fix). I tried reinstalling the drivers a lot but with no success.I have the disk to reinstall the drivers but there obsolete without being able to use the disk drive. I've also tried deleting the upper and lower filters but I didn't have any (a suggestion I saw on this forum). I've had this problem for a very long time and I'd appreciate it if anyone could help. i use windows 8 in my laptop
Hi almas rony,
I appreciate the steps performed by you to fix this issue. I suggest you to check if the system reads disks in Windows 8 Safe Mode. Please follow the steps provided below to boot into Safe Mode:
1. Navigate to the Windows 8 Start Screen and press Ctrl+Alt+Del together to enter the blue boot screen.
2. When you are on the blue screen, hold the "Shift" key and click ‘Restart‘at the same time (it appears in the bottom right of the screen). Your PC will restart.
3. After your Windows 8 PC reboots, navigate to the Advanced Startup options menu and click the "Troubleshoot" button → "Advanced options" button → "Startup settings" and finally click the "Restart" button.
4. After your PC restarts again, you will be directed to the Startup Settings menu.
5. Select the Safe Mode to boot in to Safe Mode.
6. Insert a disk and check if Windows reads it properly.
7. You will need to uninstall the Optical drive from the Device Manager in Normal Mode and restart the system if the drive works in Safe Mode.
Please let me know about your findings.