Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2013 03:00

My TSStcorp DVD+-RW Ts-L633J ATA Device DVD/CD-Rom Drive Not Reading Dvd Discs

My Dell Laptop Inspiron  has a DVD/CD rom drive.  It loads all the CD that I want to and automatically opens them .  When I put in a DVD disc it will not play and neither recognize it.  I open My Computer, then look at the E drive and it doesn't even recognize that there is a DVD inside (means when i double clik it ejects the dvd disc and a message is shown that "Please insert a disc'' .Some sound comes from the drive like it is reading but nothing shows it is not detecting my dvd.I tried many options but to no help.  I reinstalled the drivers also. But always the same message shows up.

4 Posts

I tried all the solutions given by you but still the problem persists

3.3K Posts

Hi reemarani,

This indicates that the laser for the DVD discs have failed.

Try the following methods which can isolate the issue:

Method 1: Clean the disc

• When you have problems with a CD or DVD drive, always check the disc first to see whether it is damaged or dirty. To clean the disc, follow these steps:
  • Remove the disc from the drive.
  • Clean the disc with a disc cleaning kit or by gently wiping the silver side of the disc from the center outward with a dry, soft, lint-free, cotton cloth.

Note Do not use a paper cloth, and do not use a circular motion to clean the disc. These can scratch the disc.

• Reinsert the disc in the CD or DVD drive.
  • If the computer can read the disc, you are finished.
  • If the computer still cannot read the disc, go to step 4.
  • Try again to clean the disc by using a cloth dampened with water, or dampened with a commercial CD or DVD cleaning solution.
  • Dry the disc thoroughly, and then reinsert it in the CD or DVD drive.
  • If the computer can read the disc, you are finished.
  • If the computer still cannot read the disc, go to method 2.

Method 2: Check the disc for damage

• If the disc is clean, check whether it is damaged. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Remove the disc from the drive, and then examine the disc for scratches or cracks.
  • If the disc is damaged, try another disc to see whether the CD or DVD drive can read it.
  • If the computer still cannot read a disc, there may be a problem with the drive. Go to method 3 to troubleshoot the CD or DVD drive.
  • If the computer can read the other disc, there is a problem with original CD or DVD. Contact the manufacturer of the damaged disc to obtain a replacement.

Method 3: Try a different disc drive

• If the disc is clean and undamaged, check whether there is a problem with the drive. To do this, follow these steps:
  • If the computer has more than one disc drive, insert the disc in a different CD or DVD drive to see whether it can read the disc.
  • If your computer does not have more than one disc drive, you can insert the disc in a different computer.
  • If the other CD or DVD drive can read the disc, there may be a problem with your CD or DVD drive. Go to method 5.
  • If the other CD or DVD drive cannot read the disc, the disc may not be compatible with the drive. Go to method 4.

Method 4: Make sure that the disc is compatible with the drive

• Check the following list to make sure that the disc that you are trying to use is compatible with your CD or DVD drive.
  • A DVD disc is incompatible with a standard CD drive.
  • A CD-RW disc is incompatible with a CD drive that does not support CD-RW discs.
  • A DVD disc is incompatible with a drive that does not have a DVD logo on the front.

Also, click on the link below to run Microsoft fixit:

http://bit.ly/ehUA8d

Awaiting your response!

3.3K Posts

June 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi reemarani,

This can be a DVD drive failure.

To assist you further, kindly private message the service tag so that I can take the case forward.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

June 18th, 2013 16:00

I have the exact problem.  it started today.

My warranty was up last month oh well,  I would like to uninstall and reinstall the driver under driver manager. My problem is which driver do I reinstall?I can not find a specific driver that is named  CD/DVD RW

I have a Latitude E5500, Win 7 professional.

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte

3.3K Posts

June 19th, 2013 07:00

Hi Charlotte,

Did you try troubleshooting steps from the above post?

If the issue persists, Kindly private message the service tag and details so that I can take the case forward.

To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

can you tell me how much will it cost to replace the optical drive

3.3K Posts

Hi reemarani,

I recommend you to contact Dell India technical suporrt for the prcing details as they would be the best people who can help you.

Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

July 27th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS, three years old with a TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-L633J drive, which recently stopped recognising DVDs. The Windows device manager tells me that somehow the driver is corrupted. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but the reinstallation keeps failing and the driver remains corrupted. Manual downloads from the Dell homepage did not work for unknown reasons. The problem is that whatever corrupted my DVD drive also prevents me from using external DVD drives. 

Do you have any ideas, what I can do. The virus scan also comes up negative, so I am not sure what may have caused the driver corruption in the first place. Please, help!

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 27th, 2014 18:00

Hi Joedoehl,

Try the upper and lower filter trick, link below.

1 Message

June 18th, 2015 12:00

It doesn't show upper case lower case thing i dont hav anyone of them

still didn't work :(

1 Message

June 19th, 2015 08:00

Pls my dell inspiron is showing me error 39. How can I correct ths drive?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 21st, 2015 04:00

Hi Mr Vamp,

Please refer to my earlier recommended actions in this thread.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2015 06:00

I have a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C on my Dell Laptop. About 8 months after i got my laptop the disk drive all of a sudden cant read or write.  I barely used this laptop and probably burned about 20 disks and it starts ejecting a disk when double clicking on the drive.

I got it work after messing with it for hours and hours then a couple weeks ago i put a disk in and it was reading the disk then it *** out.. hasn't worked since.

This is the 4th Samsung optical drive that i've had do this same exact problem. I want to believe that Samsung has a decent reputation doesn't build *** optical drives. My personal opinion is that a Microsoft update is the culprit.

I would suggest to anyone if they have this problem to get your Windows disk and reboot. Set your BIOS to boot off the disk drive.. if it starts to load windows then you know your drive is good... if it doesn't well buy a new one..

I'm gonna go reboot and see if this works..  if anyone is interested in my results reply to this post.

3 Posts

September 13th, 2015 06:00

Hi, I have an inspiron 7720 and recently upgraded to Win 10.  Now my DVD+- GT80N no longer works.  It is in the control panel and on attempt to update driver it lists current driver as correct, yet every disk I insert is listed as blank and when I try to burn it ejects the disk and claims 'Bad Media'.  There is no Mr. Fix it for Win 10, I can't roll back the driver, uninstall/reinstall makes no difference. What can I try next?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 13th, 2015 16:00

Hi Rowdy53,

I would try the Windows 8 procedure.

I have no idea if it will work but someone has to be the first to try it. Good luck!

No Events found!