MikeyUinNY
1 Copper

N5010 0Xc00000e error after system recovery

Jump to solution

I recently replaced the hard drive in my N5010.  Using WIN7 recovery media USB that was created when I first got the machine (2011), I was able to successfully restore the pc to a  factory image, go through the setup for initial use, and complete one successful reboot.    However, on successive reboots, I receive the following error  " 0xc00000e  boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".  I am also unable to boot to a WIN7  emergency repair CD, receiving an error code.   I read that this is a known problem when recovering from USB created by 3rd party (i.e. Dell Data Safe) and the solution is to install a WIN7 CD and select repair.  Problem is, the recovery USB is the only media I have since Dell doesn't provide Windows installation disks.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MikeyUinNY
1 Copper

RE: N5010 0Xc00000e error after system recovery

Jump to solution

Eureka - fixed!

Once I restored the PC to the factory image (again), I opened a command prompt (run as administrator).

• Type bcdedit

The resulting display showed the following

• Under Boot Manger,  device = unknown
  • Under Boot Loader, device = unknown & osdevice = unknown.

Entered the following commands

• bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
  • bcdedit /set device partition=c:
  • bcdedit /set osdevice partition =c:

Running the bcdedit command again shows that these 3 parameters are now set to c:    Have rebooted successfully severall times now and proceeding with recovering my files from backup.  (I use windows backup) .

4 Replies
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Hi MikeYuinny,

Boot to the BIOS and check your hard drive controller. If you have the option, set it to ATA, then reboot.

0 Kudos
MikeyUinNY
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Tried it; booted to BIOS and changed hard drive controller to ATA but no change.  Still getting the same error.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MikeyUinNY
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Eureka - fixed!

Once I restored the PC to the factory image (again), I opened a command prompt (run as administrator).

• Type bcdedit

The resulting display showed the following

• Under Boot Manger,  device = unknown
  • Under Boot Loader, device = unknown & osdevice = unknown.

Entered the following commands

• bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
  • bcdedit /set device partition=c:

Running the bcdedit command again shows that these 3 parameters are now set to c:    Have rebooted successfully severall times now and proceeding with recovering my files from backup.  (I use windows backup) .

lldavid1975
1 Copper

Jump to solution

MikeyUinNY,

You are my absolute freaking hero.  With your help I now have a working Laptop. It's been a boat anchor for dang near two years. If you're ever in the Portland Oregon area, I will buy you a beer. Luckily I noticed the space in the third bcdedit in between partition and =

Example 

Should be

• bcdedit /set osdevice partition=c:

Thank you so much,

Lucas

0 Kudos