Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2009 23:00

Need to get info off of damaged hard drive before sending it back to Dell.

Hi,

I've been trying to research this on the forums, but haven't found quite what I need.

I just got an XPS M1530 last month and the hard drive crashed. Dell overnighted me a new one, which I installed today. I was told that I could possibly recover data from the damaged hard drive, but I don't have a clue where to start. I have most of it backed up, but I lost some important emails.

I gather that I need some kind of cord and maybe some sort of housing in order to do this? I don't have a desktop computer, so making it a slave drive isn't an option.

Any help/advice would be very greatly appreciated! I'm totally stumped!

Thank you,

Sarah

March 25th, 2009 23:00

I don't know if it matters, but I'm running Vista Home Premium.

3.7K Posts

March 26th, 2009 04:00

ERROR

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 26th, 2009 06:00

If the system still recognizes the drive, mount it in a USB 2.0 SATA enclosure and attach to a working system by USB.  See what you can read.

If you can't read the drive at all, data recovery can usually retrieve the data -  but such services are expensive (think a couple of thousand dollars minimum).

March 26th, 2009 07:00

ejn63,

Thanks for your advice. I'm wondering though, how do I know if the system still recognizes the drive? Right now, I've got the new hard drive in and the old one in the anti-static packaging the new one came in. Should I put it in a USB 2.0 SATA enclosure first, attach it and then find out? I hope the enclosures aren't too costly. =(

Thanks again!

4.6K Posts

March 26th, 2009 07:00

Should I put it in a USB 2.0 SATA enclosure first, attach it and then find out?

That's exactly what you should do.

I hope the enclosures aren't too costly. =(

Not at all. 

Newegg sell 2.5" external enclosures from just $10 (+ S&H).

You need a SATA enclosure - specifically.

March 26th, 2009 16:00

Thank you so much, TheRealFireblade. This helps me a lot! :emotion-1:

No Events found!