Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2008 14:00

New HD for Dim 8300

I am planning on installing a 500GB - 1T 7200 serial Hard drive in my Dim 8300.  Couldn't find one on the Dell site and it made me wonder if the 8300 could handle it.  (It came with 1 serial and 1 IDE drive and Dell said I couldn't add a third drive.  Again, I wonder if it is a power issue.)  Would I need a larger power supply than the one that came in the box?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 4th, 2008 14:00

You can add the drive if you wish, but if you install it alongside the original drive, you will need to set the new (SATA) drive up as the boot drive in the system.  You can't boot the original drive if you install a SATA drive - the SATA drive must be the boot drive.

53 Posts

July 4th, 2008 15:00

I intedn to keep the current SATA drive only as a spill over / backup drive.  May I am nostalgic - how do you back up a 750 drive onto a 250?

I would be using the new drive as the boot and use it as the primary storage.

My concern is why dosen't dell advertise large drives for the 8300 (I was only looking there - I intend to get one from newegg or other on line vendor) and would I need a larger power supply?

Appreciate your reply

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 4th, 2008 16:00

You won't need a new power supply - and yes, the system will support any size drive now made - even 1 TB.

They didn't exist when the system was built, which is why Dell won't support them.

No Events found!