Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2006 02:00

No DVD is recognized (on Dell-provided Samsung SD-616T)

My Dell-provided hardware includes a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T on Drive D, and an NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A on Drive E.  My problem is that my Samsung DVD-ROM does not recognize any DVD (regardless of the format).  It DOES recognize all CDs and plays them all.  But when I insert a DVD, it falsely shows that the drive is empty.  It doesn't matter if I use PowerDVD, ATI, or any other program. It also will show an empty drive if I look in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

I have Dell's extended warranty coverage for hardware, but when I call them on the telephone they tell me that if it plays CDs then it must be a software problem and therefore won't help me.

I have tried everything possible and if it's a software issue I'm at a loss to figure out where to turn next.  Some of the steps I have taken (I'm probably forgetting some) are --
*Ran Diagnostics from hard drive
*Ran Diagnostics by booting to Dell's Utilities disc
*Troubleshoot the drivers
*Turned on Disc Detector utility
*Cleaned the lens with two different brands of cleaning discs
*Ensured DMA settings are on
*Downloaded and installed latest Firmware (v.F311)
*Updated Bios
*Tried all DVD formats

It's been the same problem since Day 1. CDs play just fine, but DVDs aren't even recognized as being in the drive.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks, Glenn

15.3K Posts

February 27th, 2006 15:00

Hi Glenn,

I am going to assume you have tried to uninstall / reinstall the decoding software, such as PowerDVD, correct?
If the above is true, my next call to Dell would be something like, "the darn drive just stopped reading any disc now, what drive are you going to send me?"

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 02-27-2006 12:57 PM

13 Posts

March 24th, 2006 18:00

I had the very same thing happen the very same day.  I have
the same Samsung and NEC.  I thought that the DVD was corrupt but it played fine on a DVD player and two other computers.  Both the Samsung and the NEC worked well since Dec. 2002.  I bought an extended warranty. Have you learned anything new since your last post?

2 Posts

March 25th, 2006 03:00

I ended up sending a message to Dell Support demanding that they provide coverage under my hardware warranty. I expected to receive more delays and "passing the buck", but was pleasantly surprised to receive a message a few days later telling me that a new DVD drive was being sent out and to expect a call from someone to set up an appointment with me.  The guy came out, replaced the DVD drive, and now everything works perfectly. He said that it was definitely a hardware issue and that most of the phone techs (who aren't in the USA) don't usually know very much -- they just look things up the same way that any of us would.

No Events found!