Highlighted
jpecha03
Copper

No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility, press f5 to run onboard diagnostics

Jump to solution

I know many people have posted a thread with this type of problem, however none of them seem to be exactly like mine. I have a Dell inspiron e1405. I bought it probably a year and a half ago. It has been working fine pretty much the whole time i have had it. The other day i was using it and everything was fine and i shut it down normally, and the next morning i go to turn it on and i get a black screen with the words "No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility, press f5 to run onboard diagnostics" posted at the top of the screen. I ran the diagnostics and it said that i had no recognizable hard drive. I ran the vista setup disk and tried to repair and it wouldn't work. It said there were no disks to repair. I went to just install windows again hoping it would just fix what ever was wrong with my hard drive. when it went to install it said there were no disks to partition windows. I tried reseating the hard drive and that was no luck. Is it safe to assume my hard drive is fried, or is there anything else i could do to try and fix it?

Please help

Jason

18 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility, press f5 to run onboard diagnostics

Jump to solution

Hi, Jason:

It's always a bad sign when the diagnostics do not detect the drive at all. If you have important data that's not backed up, it would be worth your effort to purchase an external USB drive enclosure (for 2.5" drives) and see if a different computer can detect the drive.

0 Kudos

Re: No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility, press f5 to run onboard diagnostics

Jump to solution

I know many people have posted a thread with this type of problem, however none of them seem to be exactly like mine. I have a Dell inspiron e1405. I bought it probably a year and a half ago. It has been working fine pretty much the whole time i have had it. The other day i was using it and everything was fine and i shut it down normally, and the next morning i go to turn it on and i get a black screen with the words "No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility, press f5 to run onboard diagnostics" posted at the top of the screen. I ran the diagnostics and it said that i had no recognizable hard drive. I ran the vista setup disk and tried to repair and it wouldn't work. It said there were no disks to repair. I went to just install windows again hoping it would just fix what ever was wrong with my hard drive. when it went to install it said there were no disks to partition windows. I tried reseating the hard drive and that was no luck. Is it safe to assume my hard drive is fried, or is there anything else i could do to try and fix it?

Please help

Jason

If you go into the BIOS can you see the hard drive listed?  If listed..there might just be corruption of the MBR.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
jpecha03
Copper

Jump to solution

How exactly do i go into the BIOS and look for it?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

How exactly do i go into the BIOS and look for it?

On boot up press F2.  This will bring you into the BIOS.  Simply look for the listing of hard drives.

0 Kudos
jpecha03
Copper

Jump to solution

On the bios it says i have no primary hard drive.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

On the bios it says i have no primary hard drive.

jpecha03,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like hardware failure.  I have seen this at my work numerous times, where users simply turn on their workstations an are met with this type of error.  The fact that the BIOS does not see the hard drives tells me that it is more than simply a Master Boot Record issue.  My suggestion is to call DELL if the system is still under warranty and have them replace the hard drive.  Or simply buy a new Hard Drive at retail and throw it into your system.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
riccopt
Bronze

Jump to solution

I am with the same "No bootable devicesstrike f1 to retry bootf2 for setup utilitypress f5 to run onboard diagnostics." problem on my dell inspiron 6400...

does that mean I will have to buy a new HD?

0 Kudos
Mary G
Diamond

Jump to solution

You should have started a new post for your question. Run the Onboard Diagnostics F5 including the extended (not the quick) hard drive check to see if the drive has failed.

0 Kudos
riccopt
Bronze

Jump to solution

You should have started a new post for your question. Run the Onboard Diagnostics F5 including the extended (not the quick) hard drive check to see if the drive has failed.

sorry about not starting a new topic for my question I thought it would be better to bump a topic that had the same issue I have...

when I press f2 there is no HD on the BIOS (and there is no way to force it to be found)

I don't know how to run the EXTENDED HD TEST... but since it was not found, I believe it will make no difference...

here is the result of the test:

--DST Short Status Test--

Test Results: Fail

Error Code: 1000-0141

Msg: No hard drive detected

0 Kudos