Highlighted
myndey
1 Nickel

Noise from beneath keyboard Inspiron 15R 5537

Jump to solution

Hi, last week I bought brand new Dell Inspiron 15R 5537. It has ST1000LM024 HDD. Everything seems to work fine, except one thing.

Yesterday, I installed Assassins Creed 4. When I launched the game I noticed something suspicious. There was mysterious scratching noise coming from beneath keyboard (approximately the middle). It’s not very loud noise, but can be heard from some distance. I suspect it’s problem with HDD (correct me if I’m wrong).

That “scratching noise is not noticeable while PC is on idle, example desktop or net…

I used Dell diagnostics, however no problem or error was found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHGAU0o1gw

This video shows what I’m talking about 🙂 Turn up your speakers a bit..

From 0:00  to 0:06. Ignore those noises, that’s just my hands and camera 🙂

From 0:06 to 0:11. Laptop is on idle. Some scratching can be heard if you put your ear close to the laptop. I ignore those noises.

From 0:23 I start the game, and immediately those “noises” starts to be louder, even though camera is about 10cm above keyboard.

At 0:26 you can hear close up sound.

And at 0:44 noises reach its highest level, while game is loading, and after loading.

At 1:27 I switch the game off and noises disappear immediately.

Looking forward for Your opinion. Maybe it’s not HDD, maybe it’s something else?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FableBlaze
1 Copper

RE: Noise from beneath keyboard Inspiron 15R 5537

Jump to solution

I bought the same model i believe (i7 4500U, 8850M). Had the exact same issue. I got a replacement the next day (same model) and it also has the same problem.

The problem should be related to the 8850 graphics card. This is the reason why it only appears when playing games. Also the noise will not be there if you set everything to run with IntelHD.

I also found out that it has problems with Windows 8.1 (cant hibernate/sleep/shutdown normally). And the DVD-drive on my replacement makes startup noises at random.

So all in all, I would recommend just refunding it or replacing it with an equivalent model from a different company.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
FableBlaze
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I bought the same model i believe (i7 4500U, 8850M). Had the exact same issue. I got a replacement the next day (same model) and it also has the same problem.

The problem should be related to the 8850 graphics card. This is the reason why it only appears when playing games. Also the noise will not be there if you set everything to run with IntelHD.

I also found out that it has problems with Windows 8.1 (cant hibernate/sleep/shutdown normally). And the DVD-drive on my replacement makes startup noises at random.

So all in all, I would recommend just refunding it or replacing it with an equivalent model from a different company.

0 Kudos
myndey
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

But those noises won’t result some graphics card failure at the future, or are they?

0 Kudos
FableBlaze
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I do not know.

I'd recommend not waiting to find out. This is definitely a defect of the machine and therefore you can have it fixed for free

0 Kudos
myndey
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Well warranty is for 3 years

0 Kudos
myndey
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

One more question. So did You  refund it, or still using that laptop, ignoring noises?

0 Kudos
FableBlaze
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This kind of noises are a deal-breaker for me. I will take the second machine back tomorrow.

0 Kudos
FableBlaze
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just a final update from me.

By now i have tried three Inspiron 15R 5537 machines. All of them had the exact same noise issue which is identical to the one in myndey's video. So i decided to take a comparable Lenovo laptop instead. Made me realize what a blessing it is to have a silent laptop.

0 Kudos
myndey
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I’m waiting for my second machine emoticon.BigSmile.title I’m hoping for the miracle – the one – the silent one emoticon.Smile.title could name exactly what Lenovo model have you got?  

0 Kudos
FableBlaze
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 (i7 4702MQ, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 740M, 1TB HDD). Has slightly weaker GPU, but a lot better CPU. They offered me a pretty good deal in the shop so i took it.

Other then specs i would add say that the E540 has somewhat odd keyboard layout and touchpad (hard to describe, but basically clicking the mouse buttons moves entire touchpad). And Lenovo has quite a bit of useless software installed.

Oh, and good luck 🙂

0 Kudos