Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2014 10:00

Noise from beneath keyboard Inspiron 15R 5537

Hi, last week I bought brand new Dell Inspiron 15R 5537. It has ST1000LM024 HDD. Everything seems to work fine, except one thing.

Yesterday, I installed Assassins Creed 4. When I launched the game I noticed something suspicious. There was mysterious scratching noise coming from beneath keyboard (approximately the middle). It’s not very loud noise, but can be heard from some distance. I suspect it’s problem with HDD (correct me if I’m wrong).

That “scratching noise is not noticeable while PC is on idle, example desktop or net…

I used Dell diagnostics, however no problem or error was found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHGAU0o1gw

This video shows what I’m talking about :) Turn up your speakers a bit..

From 0:00  to 0:06. Ignore those noises, that’s just my hands and camera :)

From 0:06 to 0:11. Laptop is on idle. Some scratching can be heard if you put your ear close to the laptop. I ignore those noises.

From 0:23 I start the game, and immediately those “noises” starts to be louder, even though camera is about 10cm above keyboard.

At 0:26 you can hear close up sound.

And at 0:44 noises reach its highest level, while game is loading, and after loading.

At 1:27 I switch the game off and noises disappear immediately.

Looking forward for Your opinion. Maybe it’s not HDD, maybe it’s something else?

6 Posts

January 4th, 2014 17:00

I bought the same model i believe (i7 4500U, 8850M). Had the exact same issue. I got a replacement the next day (same model) and it also has the same problem.

The problem should be related to the 8850 graphics card. This is the reason why it only appears when playing games. Also the noise will not be there if you set everything to run with IntelHD.

I also found out that it has problems with Windows 8.1 (cant hibernate/sleep/shutdown normally). And the DVD-drive on my replacement makes startup noises at random.

So all in all, I would recommend just refunding it or replacing it with an equivalent model from a different company.

9 Posts

January 4th, 2014 23:00

But those noises won’t result some graphics card failure at the future, or are they?

6 Posts

January 5th, 2014 05:00

I do not know.

I'd recommend not waiting to find out. This is definitely a defect of the machine and therefore you can have it fixed for free

9 Posts

January 5th, 2014 05:00

Well warranty is for 3 years

9 Posts

January 5th, 2014 09:00

One more question. So did You  refund it, or still using that laptop, ignoring noises?

6 Posts

January 5th, 2014 10:00

This kind of noises are a deal-breaker for me. I will take the second machine back tomorrow.

6 Posts

January 7th, 2014 09:00

Just a final update from me.

By now i have tried three Inspiron 15R 5537 machines. All of them had the exact same noise issue which is identical to the one in myndey's video. So i decided to take a comparable Lenovo laptop instead. Made me realize what a blessing it is to have a silent laptop.

9 Posts

January 7th, 2014 10:00

I’m waiting for my second machine :emotion-2: I’m hoping for the miracle – the one – the silent one :emotion-1: could name exactly what Lenovo model have you got?  

6 Posts

January 7th, 2014 11:00

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 (i7 4702MQ, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 740M, 1TB HDD). Has slightly weaker GPU, but a lot better CPU. They offered me a pretty good deal in the shop so i took it.

Other then specs i would add say that the E540 has somewhat odd keyboard layout and touchpad (hard to describe, but basically clicking the mouse buttons moves entire touchpad). And Lenovo has quite a bit of useless software installed.

Oh, and good luck :)

January 10th, 2014 04:00

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 (i7 4702MQ, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 740M, 1TB HDD). Has slightly weaker GPU, but a lot better CPU. They offered me a pretty good deal in the shop so i took it.

That's a pretty nice machine you've got there. I hope I get my refund too.

January 10th, 2014 04:00

Did Dell refund you the whole amount? When I was having issues, the most they could do is offer me the credit note.

6 Posts

January 10th, 2014 07:00

I did not have to deal with dell. That is a problem that the retailers (if that is the right word) have to deal with.

All the best!

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 12:00

Helo!

I consider buying this notebook, but than I ran to this post. This noise surely would make me mad over time.

I watched a bunch of other gameplay videos on the net, but could not tell if there was this noise coz of the background/game noise.

Could you, or anyone else get rid of the vga noise problem, or does anyone owns a same version notebook that does not makes this noise?
Is the radeon 8850m a buggy vga?
Is there a driver or something, that fixes the problem?

Thank you!

1 Message

September 22nd, 2014 13:00

Has anyone been able to find a workaround for this? It's really annoying!

February 2nd, 2017 11:00

Hello Everyone!

I am having issue with my dell inspiron 5537 core i7, 8gb ram, amd 8850m. My laptop doesn't hibernate/sleep and shutdown but sometimes it does... Does anybody here know what is the problem?

Secondly during playing heavy games like GTA 5 i face some weird noises from GPU although this machine is a all in one beast but having these type of issues specially the sleep/hibernate make me feel worse :/
i don't know why Dell is not taking notice of all these issues ???

No Events found!