Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2009 11:00

Non-System Disk, Press any key

Hi, What it isi have an ST3500320AS . I was on the Seagate web site, and downloaded this utitity ms-sd1a, which checks for updates to your drive. When it bootup  an application is supposed to open, but it does not. What happens now, when the Dell splash screen appears, the next screen says, 'Non-System Disk, Press any key'. Well I do this and the systems starts up. How do I get rid of this Non System disk message. Ps I used that 'Download SD1A Firmware update utility'. Thanks

3.7K Posts

October 7th, 2009 02:00

Hi ejn63, Yes my BIOS still sees the 2 hard drives. Hard drive 1 is Vista and Win 7 RC, and hard drive 2 is, Win XP and an Data partition. When I get the messagec to press any key, it boots normally into my boot options, which gives me the option to boot into Win 7, Win Vista or Win XP.

3.7K Posts

October 8th, 2009 04:00

Hi, Got it at last,and I did not even have to reinstall my Op to fix it. What i did was to boot off my Vista disc, select Repair your Computer, select Command Prompt, then typed in bootrec /fixmbr, then rebooted and it was fixed. Remember to leave a space between the c and / .

April 18th, 2012 14:00

I just reformatted my Alienware M17X R3 with Windows 7 X64. I installed the necessary drivers off the Dell site, then decided to install the Seagate Firmware from the Dell site. After doing so, I started to receive the "Non-system disk, press any key..." error every time I booted the machine.

Following RobinBredin's instructions above, I booted to my Windows 7 Home Premium install disc, clicked Next on the first page, then clicked "Repair your computer". The next screen displayed my Windows 7 installation, so I clicked Next. I then clicked "Command Prompt", entered the following command:

bootrec /fixmbr

...it returned: "The operation completed successfully."

I then closed the command prompt, clicked the Restart button, and voila, the problem was fixed.

Just wanted to share my experience, and say thank you to Robin!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 6th, 2009 16:00

Is the hard drive still seen by the system BIOS (F2 at powerup)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 7th, 2009 05:00

Sounds like the wrong drive may be set to be the boot drive - or there's a setting that has been enabled for a drive that doesn't exist.

3.7K Posts

October 7th, 2009 07:00

Hi ejn63, This is what it says in my BIOS,

Boot Order: 500GB on SATA Port 0

320GB on SATA port 5

Cd Rom

First Boot; Hard Drive

Second Boot: Hard Drive

Third Boot: CD Rom

I'm wondering if I will have to do an reinstall of my OP to get things back to normal.

87 Posts

June 20th, 2012 07:00

I just ran into this "non-system disk" issue after attempting to update a Seagate HDD in a new Latitude E6430...  The error would come up just after the BIOS pointed to the hard drive.  Using a bootable Windows 7 repair CD, I successfully resolved this with the "bootrec /fixmbr" command.  Nice save, thanks!

September 2nd, 2012 13:00

Hey!

I solved it that way. Download the free tool "EasyBCD". Open programm.

Go to "BCD Backup/Repair" - "BCD Management Options" - select "Reset BCD configuration" - click "Perform Action". Then

go to "BCD Deployment" - select "Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR" - click "Write MBR"

Problem solved.

cheers

1 Message

July 16th, 2014 18:00

You are a Rock star Thanks for sharing

Avi

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 16th, 2014 22:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!