Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2015 02:00

Not able to boot from mSata SSD in Latitude e7440

I recently purchased a Dell latitude e7440, it came with a 500gb HDD and a open slot for a mSata ssd. I purchased a Samsung 850 evo 250 gb msata ssd and installed it in the open slot. 

Now the problem is I am unable to boot my system from the msata ssd. 

I did a clone of my hdd to ssd using Samsung data migration software and it was successful. But when i changed the boot drive to the msata ssd (in legacy mode not sure how to do it in UIEF mode) I get invalid partition table error. 

I tried deselecting the internal hdd and rebooting, but then the minicard slot is also getting deselected automatically on the reboot.

If anyone has faced similar issue and knows how to fix this, then please assist.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2015 13:00

You will need to return the system to UEFI mode, since that's the mode in which Windows was installed.  Changing from UEFI to legacy or vice-versa will require a complete reinstall of Windows.

Once you've cloned the drive, remove the original hard drive from the system, leaving only the mSATA drive and set the system to boot from the mSATA drive (you will need to manually add it to the UEFI setup field;  there will be a place to do that).

Then boot the system from the mSATA drive.  You will also need to make sure secure boot is turned OFF in order to get the mSATA drive to boot.

No Events found!