Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2008 18:00

Optiplex 755 Desktop Model - adding 2nd hard drive

Does anyone know if there is a special bracket available for installing a 2nd hard drive on a 755 Desktop model? As it is now, I can take out the optical drive and hook up another hard drive, but there isn't a bracket to hold it in place. I guess the same would apply for the 520 and the 745 Desktop models...

7 Posts

March 26th, 2012 11:00

Almost 4 years later, but better late than never...

The second drive doesn't take a bracket, it takes screws. The official answer is here:

support.dell.com/.../document

"Unofficially," if you don't have the chassis with the different bezel (the one that eliminates the hole for the floppy drive) just take the 4 screws out of the back of the plastic cover for the floppy (or the floppy drive itself if it's installed), and screw them into the new hard disk. You'll lose the floppy drive, but who cares. And yes, the threads are the smaller ones, but it will work. The screws marry up to the same 4 slots that hold the floppy drive in place. Then slide it forward until it clicks into place.

Sadly, there is no room now for the plastic cover piece that fits into the bezel. That's why they made the alternate bezel. Either leave it alone (the front of the drive almost covers the hole anyway), or get creative with some black gaff tape.

Another thread that discusses this topic:

en.community.dell.com/.../18917009.aspx

1 Message

April 14th, 2013 16:00

Johnny_Mac, thank you so much for this!

The second hard drive clicks nicely into place as described by you and completely covered the gap in the bezel.  All I needed to get was a SATA power splitter and to turn off keyboard error reporting and then I had my second hard drive.

Really appreciate your solution - four years late was perfect for me :-)

No Events found!