Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2008 07:00

Optiplex 760 won't see optical drives

I am unable to get an optiplex 760 USFF to see any optical drives from the bios or O.S. any idea's?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 16th, 2008 17:00

Hi, Van: So you have what kind of drive in this system? Have you checked the cable connections? Have you tried resetting BIOS defaults <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>?

20 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 12:00

I am having the same problem.  Optical drives can't be booted from, nor are seen by the BIOS

3 Posts

March 9th, 2010 16:00

The way to solve this problem is to insert the optical drive, then go into BIOS and click Restore Factory Defaults.  Confirm by clicking Yes, and Exit.  When the Optiplex resets, you will see it performing Auto-Configuration of IDE devices instead of the Dell splash screen.  Only then will the optical devices correctly appear, instead of showing as an  "unknown device".  Press F2 to get back into BIOS to verify the drive is listed, and put any other settings back how you want them.

None of my 760's came with optical drives, but one user later asked to have one, so I grabbed a spare from an older 755 and plugged it in, assuming it would appear right away.  That was when I encountered this issue.  I thought that maybe certain drives weren't compatible, but I tried several and none would work.  It seems that if the system never had an optical drive installed, the IDE bus won't see it until a full enumeration is forced by factory-default resetting the BIOS.

No Events found!