Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 14:00

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 is missing/disabled/not recognized

I recently reinstalled my operating system. I've filled in all the yellow question marks and did it in the appropriate order. The only issue I have is:

* within Device Manager > under DVD/CD-ROM drives> a red " X " is located the on PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631driver.

The device status is:

---

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.

---

But enabling the device doesn't work. I went into the BIOS to see if it was turned off mistakenly but it is on. I have the driver from my specified downloads but it can't run because the computer can't detect the E drive which holds the Philips DVD/RW driver. The only one detected is the D drive. How can I get my computer to detect it so I can update its driver?

On this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171067-32-drive-drive-detected, they say to do some stuff but I not sure about it and if it applies to XP.

Start the Run Command Prompt

Type in "regedit" without the parrenthesis then click ok

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then SYSTEM

Then CURRENT CONTROL SET

Then CONTROL

Then CLASS

Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The whole thing looks like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then delete the upper and lower filters....

Then restart your computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 7th, 2014 17:00

Hi Jarod1,

Please try this first. Uninstall the device in device manager, then reboot the system and see if Windows will reinstall the driver.

If that doesn't work, follow my link below for the upper and lower filter trick (the Fix-It utility).

No Events found!