Highlighted
albiglan
1 Copper

PLDS DH-16ABS and HL-DT-ST CH20N issues

A few months ago, I reinstalled the OS for my XPS 9100.  All seems to have gone well but I just tried to burn a DVD+RW (and DVD+R) with both drives (both should be able to burn to that format I believe) and got errors from both drives.  I am burning using only the Win7 functionality and it seems to be complaining about the media.  I intially figured, "okay, bad disk, I'll try another" but they all fail.  (tried Sony DVD+RW and HP DVD+R) 

The message I get is "There was an error burning this disk.  The disc might no longer be usable"

I checked the drivers and they apear to be the "default Windows drivers" so I came looking for the Dell drivers on the support site, but couldn't find either of my drives listed:

HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH20N 

PLDS DVD+- RW DH-16ABS

I'm debating buying a version of Roxio as that seems to be a general solution, but I really think this is a driver issue.  Both drives report the same Microsoft driver version: 6.1.601.17514 (dated 6/21/2006).  Maybe this is a-okay, but I would appreciate another set of more experienced eyes!

Note: I tried looking at the Registry setting under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 

and didn't see anything like the "UpperFilters" or "lowerFilters" entries from a post on the PLDS drive

Thanks!

-al

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Gold

RE: PLDS DH-16ABS and HL-DT-ST CH20N issues

Hi Albiglan,

All optical drives use the same device drivers. You won't find an update on the Dell site or anywhere else. And by the way, anyone who suggests updating the drivers is not providing good advice. Since it's both drives, I don't suggest trying to update the firmware.

I would grab one of the many free burning programs, like ImgBurn, and see if that works better.

One thing to check. When you reinstalled the OS, did you change the SATA mode in the BIOS? Normally, AHCI or RAID is faster.

0 Kudos
albiglan
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply!  

The SATA mode is indeed still AHCI. (shouldn't have changed it)  I'll try ImgBurn and give that a try.  (I'm glad you aren't suggesting a firmware update as I'm not sure where to get it 🙂

I'll report back in a bit after giving the burning programs a try.

-al

0 Kudos
albiglan
1 Copper

After trying ImgBurn (nice product, but you their website is a mine field of ads) I think I'm convinced the drives work and this is user error.  The step I was missing was formatting the disk before doing anything.  I had assumed that Windows would have prompted me along the lines of "hey, looks like a disk, if this is the first time you are using it, click here to format and continue"  Ah well.  Poor Windows errors and bad user 😞

Thanks so much again for responding and sticking with me!  Not sure if you get kickbacks from Dell osprey4 but you should! 🙂

(btw - just bought my 12yo a Honda GX200 to tear down and rebuild as a GoKart engine... I have a while to go for the empty nest 🙂

0 Kudos