Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 27th, 2003 01:00

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable.

Anyone out there that can help me...

I have an OptiPlex GX1 that had a 2.1 GB hard drive in it.  I added a second hard drive with 6 GB switched the jumpers around and the system recognize it.  I proceeded with formatting the new drive I put in.  The formatting completed okay and so I tried to boot up from a Windows ME floppy disk, this is the OS I had on the system previously.  I am getting this error PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable, I need to find out what I have to do to get past this point.  The system recognizes my A-Floppy, C-EIDE, D-EIDE, E-???, and now even F-CD drive.  The CD drive was previously showing as E.  I don't need the F.

Can anyone out there help me with this issue?  I tried to check through the postings but was unable to find anything that I haven't already tried.

Any  help is appreciated.

Connie

December 27th, 2003 09:00

I suggest you didn't search very far as there are lots of entries on this one....  In the bios, set the NIC entry to "ON (PXE off)" and remove the option of PXE boot from the boot sequence.  Make sure all IDE devices are set to cable select (hard drives, CDROM, CD-RW etc) and that only those devices you have present are set to AUTO in the bios.

1 Message

January 31st, 2004 16:00

What is the NIC in the BIOS?  I am having the same issue with the PXE-E61 failure.  Can someone help me with this?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 31st, 2004 17:00

The short story on this error is congratulations you have killed your hard drive and there is no way to boot from it now so Im trying to PXE boot from the Network.

Aka Hard Drive is DEAD, Not Formatted or has no boot partition active.

January 31st, 2004 19:00

NIC = network interface card (ethernet port on GX1).

I have seen a number of occasions where the bios for some reason switches to PXE boot even though there's a valid hard disk set up and a bootable disk; the PXE boot can end up being selected in the bios.  I would check  - you go into the bios, and for the NIC entry select the "ON (PXE off)" setting rather than OFF or ON; and go into the boot sequence screen and make sure PXE boot is removed from the boot options.

February 2nd, 2004 03:00

Hi JW,

I ended up taking my PC to a computer shop in my city here and they were able to fix it.  At first they thought the jumpers were set incorrectly, until I told them I had tried every combination of jumperdom...  Ultimately, they realized that the cable wasn't recognizing both of the hard drives I had in the PC.  I am not sure how they were able to fix it, but they got it to where it works and with no errors.  BTW, I live in Fort Worth, TX.

CJD

"expertdangeroususer" :-))

15 Posts

March 4th, 2004 03:00

@expertdangeroususer wrote:

I ended up taking my PC to a computer shop ...  BTW, I live in Fort Worth, TX.

And still, when you call for support, though you're just down the road from Dell, you get routed to India and the Philippines.

1 Message

March 19th, 2004 02:00

Problems:

1. PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

2. Motherboard doesn't recognize any hard drive.

Did anyone solve the problem? I solved my problems (my Dell is GX1)

March 19th, 2004 10:00

Set the hard disks (and all other IDE devices e.g. CDROM) to the cable select position (these Dells don't use master/slave). Put the drive you want as master on the end of the cable furthest from the motherboard. Set AUTO for the first device on the first channel in the bios. If you have no second device on the first IDE channel, set it to NONE. If you do have a second hard drive, put it on the remaining connector and set the bios to AUTO for that device. Set the NIC to "ON (PXE off)", and remove the PXE boot from the boot sequence. Reboot.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2010 00:00

Hello there.

I just write my situation.

I have no MP3 player so I am using Dell studio 1555 as my MP3 player. Simply connect connect headphones to my notebook, put it in my bracket and go.

The problem is, that I have winter weather here right now, So I need to have my bracket open a little /for not warming my notebook/.

So i was in a road to school, when music stops. I really do not want to open my laptop on the street so I just wait and go to the school. When I open my laptot there was a error message

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0f: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Boot Failure: System Halted

So I starts searching for this problem.

I was so scared when I saw that my hard drive can be dead /cause I really need my laptot these times for work/

So I still searching this problem and I found this

"OMG...it actually worked...turned the laptop off. Turned it over..slapped it on the backside a few times and it works. Wished that worked as well with my children.

Thanks all!!"

from site: http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3247.shtml

and it actually works!

Just simple slaping : )

I am glad that my laptop works.

Why I am wrote this? Maybe someone have the same problem, so just try to slap it.

I am really really sorry for my english.

hope it will be works for another users : )

1 Message

November 8th, 2011 14:00

I got a L502X XPS 15 and faced this issue after 2 weeks or so. As some blogs suggested I tried activating the C: partition, that corrupted the boot record, I would not suggest that.

Disabling the network boot from BIOS fixed the issue. Goto to boot order and highlight the network and press Shift+1 to disable it. This solved the issue.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2012 06:00

BIOS is checked out when computer is switched on and reports configuration, if set as 1st boot device hard drive at Bios boots here, if Bios is set to another device it boots there, 1st boot sequence is your 1st boot choice, if hard drive is the choice initialization activates a mechanical arm where mounted on its end is a head configuration comprising of magnetic small boxlike shapes the arm and its associated parts directionalises its self over to the outside cylinders on the platter/plate associated with the disc in the hard drive and attempts to read a ring of coded data and locates sector 1 and an area of data where reading executes from MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) and tells computer what PARTITION to boot in this case it is drive "C". Since "C" is active partition on after the scan boot reports  on 2 "FILE ALLOCATION TABLES" known as FAT and provides size, here is the record recordings of files on hard disc, after reading the 1st FAT, 2nd FAT  contains "ROOT DIRECTORY" where 2 hidden system files are located and a "KEY FILE" called "COMMAND.COM" boot process initializes windows start. PARTITIONING can in hard drive takes on other assigned letters "D" "E" "F" ETC. Where no partitioning has occurred next hardware device CD-ROM IS assigned the letter "D", and this can be your 1st BOOT device rather than hard drive, it’s optional. A VIRUS can replace MBR with themselves and replace MBR somewhere else.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 11:00

Thread is 8 years old. Time to retire it.

No Events found!