Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 18:00

Partitioning problems on insprion 1545

Hello,

I'm having difficulty using partition magic 8 to partition the C drive with the ultimate goal of creating a Ghost image and putting it in the newly created partition.

The error message when I attempt to OPEN PM8 states: Init Failed: Error 117  Partition's drive letter cannot be identified.

There have been similar messages when I tried use other partition software. IThe laptop is was purchased during summer 2009.  so it has xp pre-loaded but Vista can be loaded with a installation cd.  Currently, there are three partitions -- DELLRESTORE, Local Disc (C), and a FAT that is 39 MB big, unnamed but labled as "EISA Configuration". I have SP3 updated..  Does anyone know what the problem might be or could otherwise offer any guidance to create another partition in "C"?

THANK YOU!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

You also have a hidden MediaDirect partition - total of four, so you cannot add another partition without removing one of the existing partitions.

4.6K Posts

December 9th, 2009 11:00

It's a peculiarity unique to Dell laptops.

You can delete whichever partition(s) you think you'll be less likely to need/use.

I wouldn't recommend deleting the recovery partition however - at least not until you've confirmed that the image you're going to create with Norton Ghost actually works :emotion-55:

The [hidden] Media Direct partition speaks for itself.  The small EISA partition contains the files used by Dell Diagnostics :emotion-5:

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 11:00

thanks for your quick repsonse.  Can I "find" this partition and erase it? or do I need to choose from the 3 visible partitions and erase one of those.  I was unaware there was a ceiling to the number of partitions...  So this problems seems unrelated to any Service Pack or OS issue...interesting...I would have thought it had something to do with the fact that I am "in b/t" operating systems.. I assumed Vista was loaded in one of the partitions and this was somehow interferring with PM8..

Thanks for any further guidance.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for your response.  So, can I find this "hidden" partition and erase it? ...I would rather not erase the diagnostics partition or the recovery partition, unless there is some way to run diagnostics in the absence of the partition..THANKS AGAIN!

No Events found!