Highlighted
2 Bronze

Plextor PX-AV100U can't/won't burn DVDs

When creating movies with the Plextor PX-AV100U digital converter, and it comes time to burn movies, I can't tell if my Dell doesn't have a DVD burner or Plextor just can't find it.

I also get "Application error (17236) Unable to initialize the ASPI manager."

Can I burn DVDs with what I have, or do I need an external burner from Plextor?  Do I need to download any drivers or firmware?  I'm lost.

My device manager shows these, and I know they can play DVDs and CDs, but I'm not clear if they're capable of burning DVDs

DVD/CD-ROM DrivesJLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166

_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: Plextor PX-AV100U can't/won't burn DVDs

The NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD is a DVD burner, however, it will only burn DVD+ media.
Are you using DVD+R discs?  It will not write to DVD-R discs.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, I tried DVD-R first...but then DVD+R after checking my packing slip.  Same result.  To be clearer on what happens:

In WinDVD Creator Version 2.0B014.414CA6... After finishing a clip, I select Make Movie button at the top.  I fill in the format (DVD 2 hrs) and TV System (NTSC) just fine, then type in the volume name of my disc.  I hit the right arrow, and the next screen says Burning Wizard / Select Media.  I hit Burn to Disc, then the right arrow.  But the Select Device and Burning Speed have no selections to pick from, like Plextor's manual says they should.

If I hit the Disc Manager button, I get the message "Unable to show Disc Manager because there is no DVD rewritable drive found on this system."

I already e-mailed Plextor's support team with this problem, but I thought maybe it's something in my Dell that needs adjusting or adding on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well,
After unplugging then re-plugging the Plextor PX AV100U unit, I somehow got WinDVD Creator to recognize that I do have a DVD burning drive. (NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD).  But now it still won't burn my movie clips.  Do I need to be using only DVD+RW discs?  I've tried DVD-R and DVD+R ones, neither work.  When using those, the Creator either

A) keeps saying "Please insert disk and try again."

or B) it stalls on the Burning Wizard/Output screen.  It completes phase 1 "Making Movie", but then it just stalls on phase 2 "Format", and nothing's done with phase 3 "Erase to Disk", and phase 4 "Burn to Disk"
0 Kudos