Highlighted
DoctorDED
1 Nickel

Port selection of SSD and HDD w/120GB mSATA using Rapid Storage Technology

Jump to solution

For my XPS 8500, I'm trying to understand how to best select the proper ports for my two drives: Drive 1.standalone120GB SSD, and Drive 2.a 1TB HHD w/120GB mSATA SSD using Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  Should the standalone SSD be put on port 0 (SATA III) and HDD be put on port 1 (SATA II), or would the HHD using Rapid Storage Technology be better put on port 0, and the standalone SSD be put on port 1?  Which of two port configurations will yield the best overall performance for boot time, application loading, and general use (no gaming)?  I plan to use the standalone SSD as the boot drive and application drive while using the HHD for data storage (mainly large photo collection).  As I understand it, the choice becomes one of which drive will work best (suffer the least) on the SATA II port.  I have read that HDD's using Rapid Storage Technology perform nearly as well as standalone SSD's, but I don't know whether the SATA II port speed will limit either/both drives so that it doesn't much matter which port is selected (i.e., would HDD using RST on port 0 perform as well as standalone SSD on port 1)?.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7- Gold

Re: Port selection of SSD and HDD w/120GB mSATA using Rapid Storage Technology

Jump to solution

Hi DoctorDED,

The mSATA SSD is normally used as a cache for a mechanical drive. With a 120GB SSD as the system drive, you do not need the mSATA drive as a cache but I believe you can still use it for storage.

You should install the SSD on port 0 and the mechanical drive on port 1.

1 Reply
7- Gold

Re: Port selection of SSD and HDD w/120GB mSATA using Rapid Storage Technology

Jump to solution

Hi DoctorDED,

The mSATA SSD is normally used as a cache for a mechanical drive. With a 120GB SSD as the system drive, you do not need the mSATA drive as a cache but I believe you can still use it for storage.

You should install the SSD on port 0 and the mechanical drive on port 1.