Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

July 24th, 2018 19:00

Precision 7730 replace Dell SSD w/ Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

I'm trying to replace my Dell SSD but am getting this error "Recover from a drive.  Unable to reset your PC.  The system drive cannot be found."  I've looked around on the web but can't find a solution that makes sense for my situation.  

Here's the background:

• Just received a brand new Dell Precision 7730 laptop
    • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    • M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive (from Dell)
    • Intel Core i9-8950HK
    • Also have 2 USB sticks: "Windows 10 Recovery Media" and "Dell Drivers Reinstall USB Key"
  • Before the initial boot, I physically removed the Dell SSD and inserted the Samsung 970 into same slot
  • I inserted the 2 USB sticks in the laptop
  • I booted up while hitting F12
  • Boot menu shows up with a message that "Boot mode is set to UEFI; Secure Boot: ON"
  • Under UEFI Boot, I choose "UEFI: Dell Recover USB, Partition 1" -- Other options included "BIOS Setup," Device Configuration," "BIOS Flash Update," "Diagnostics," and "Change Boot Mode Settings." 
  • On the next couple of screens, I choose English, US, and then "Troubleshoot"
  • Under Troubleshoot I choose "Recover from a drive" -- the other option was "advanced options" which included options like "UEFI Firmware Settings," "System Restore," etc.  
  • I click "Recover from a drive" which leads to the "system drive cannot be found" error

When I search the web, I see discussions about cloning but I have nothing to clone.  I have a feeling the solution has something to do with Samsung drivers, Intel RST Drivers, Dell Drivers, BIOS changes but I'm somewhat stumped and am not a PC guru.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

24 Posts

July 26th, 2018 03:00

Maybe this howto helps:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln298442/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery-restore-usb-drive?lang=en

I did a clean install from a Windows 10 ISO on my 970 EVO with no problems.

Changed the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI to get Samsung nvme drivers installed.

So if your stick includes a full version of Windows you should be able to reinstall.

1 Message

September 11th, 2018 13:00

Unfortunately, I cannot assist you with this issue. However, If you are able to resolve it, would you be willing to sell the interposer board, board mount, and associated hardware? Dell states that they cannot sell me those items. I am trying to install my backup SSD, but cannot until I find those items. I hope that your issue was resolved!

No Events found!