Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2004 00:00

Problem Burning CDs: Long Filenames

Problem: I am unable to burn CD-Rs with files having long filenames (longer than the Joliet standard of 64 characters) when using Easy CD Creator.  I would appreciate any comments about what is going on here and advice on how to resolve this issue.

I am using a Dell Dimension 8250 running XP Home SP1, equipped with a Samsung CD-R/RW (SW-240B) and Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Basic (version 5.2.0.26.)  My version of Easy CD Creator offers three file formats: ISO9660, Joliet, and UDF.

The files I want to record on the CD-R are mostly *.jpg image, MS Word, and MS Excel files - 981 files in 81 directories/subdirectories, all totaling 605 MB.  I need to make multiple copies of the CD.

The default format for my Easy CD Creator software is the Joliet standard, which allows filenames up to 64 characters and full pathnames (directory path + file name) up to 128 characters.  However, the files I want to copy have filename lengths ranging from 10 to 88 characters, including the three-character extensions.  (The full pathnames (directory path + filename) are 124 characters or less -- within the Joliet standard limit.)  When in Easy CD Creator I attempt to transfer the desired files/directories to the CD-project window, Easy CD Creator says some filenames are too long and offers a shorter replacement name.  Because the filenames contain important identifying information that I want to keep, truncating the filenames is not an option.  If I cancel all of the offered truncated filenames, I could continue with the CD recording session, but only about one half of the data (313 MB vs 605 MB), one-third of the files (382 vs 981), and 72 of the 81 directories would be recorded.

Attempts to record using the UDF format give the same result as above; I can burn a CD but many of the files and some directories are left out.

The format ISO9660 just truncates all of the file directory names to the DOS 8+3 format, so using this format provides no help at all!

FYI, I have successfully burned all of the desired data to a CD-R (with intact long filenames) by transferring it via my LAN to another machine - a Dimension XPS T500 running W98SE and equipped with an HP 9100 CD-Writer and the HP software (possibly from Veritas) that came with it.  While no choice of recording formats is offered by the HP software, the properties of CDs made with this equipment indicate that the format is CDFS.  I have no trouble reading these CDFS-format CDs on any of the DVD or CD drives on my 8250 and XPS T500 machines, the DVD of my laptop running ME, or the CD of my mid-nineties-era Micron P75 running W98SE.

As a fallback solution, I could just use the HP burner to make the CDs, but the Samsung burner is five times faster!  A workaround that would be better is to make a good master CD on the HP burner and then make copies of that disk using the Samsung burner on the 8250 machine with the disk copier function of Easy CD Creator.  I have tried this and Easy CD Creator successfully burns a complete and accurate copy of the original, including the CDFS format.  Still, it would be simpler and faster if I could just perform all of the recording steps on the 8250 machine.

So why does the HP with HP software using the format CDFS succeed, while Easy CD Creator with formats Joliet/UDF fail?  Does Roxio offer a version of Easy CD Creator that includes the CDFS format?  Is there other XP-compatible CD-burning software that I can use on my 8250 machine that will allow me to record the CDs that I need (including long filenames?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TAH

15.3K Posts

November 18th, 2004 02:00

Hi TAH,

Iam not sure if this relevant but I have an articles from Jim H, eho is a Regular over at Roxio and a beta tester as well, click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 8-3, article 12

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

495 Posts

November 18th, 2004 03:00

I don't know if this will be helpful,  but I have the same problem burning files with long filenames using Sonic RecordNow .

In the advanced options,  I found the "FILE SYSTEM" setting,  with an option "ISO Level 2 (212 character file names)"  - which I chose.

Although I can now burn files with long file names to CD-R,  I still can't to DVD+R/RW.

43 Posts

November 19th, 2004 08:00

Predator and scoobydooby -- thanks for your responses!

Predator: my problem is with long filenames; the size of the files has not caused any problems so far.

Scoobydooby: the Recordnow software looks like it might solve my problem, since I am only trying to burn CD-Rs.  The latest version -- Recordnow MAX 4.5 does not seem to be available anymore; Sonic's website instead offers something called Recordnow! version 7-something, which looks like it is offered by Adaptec.  Is that a later iteration of the Recordnow software that you are using?  In newgroup postings I have come across the comment that CD burner software based on the Veritas (or Prassi) 'engine' will allow long filenames (using the format ISO level 2 long.)  Do you know if Recordnow! stilll uses this engine?

Thanks, again, to both of you for your help!

TAH

495 Posts

November 19th, 2004 19:00

I have SonicRecord Now, version 7.1, which came with my Dell;  but I think the latest version is 7.2.

I did update my program with the Prassi engine - it was a free update from the Sonic Support Site  (maybe later versions, such as 7.2, already come with the Prassi engine).

Just to let you now,  I have only yesterday discovered another (free) option to burn to CD-R;  and no problem with long file names.

You can use "windows XP cd writer";  just right click on the file/folder to burn,  scroll down to "send to", and choose your CD-R drive.  A pop-up balloon will appear on your taskbar - follow the instructions.

Another advantage of  "windows XP cd writer" is that (if you need this) it will also burn files with foreign language characters in the file name (which Sonic RecordNow will not do).

495 Posts

November 20th, 2004 13:00

Excuse my ignorance;  what is UDF?

2.1K Posts

November 20th, 2004 13:00

My response that Jeff quoted on his site was correct for my "knowledge" at that time… Since then I had some discussions with Roxio and I have to correct some of that.

It is not a "bug" but limitations of the Joliet Standard and present on ALL burning software prior to W2K/XP.

It is not simply a burning software limit but also a limitation of the Operating System in use.

Prior to W2K/XP all OS's use what I call Strict Joliet limits:

Filename – 64 characters max
Pathname – 128 characters (full path + filename)
8 subdirectories max
4gb file length limit

That's it, no workarounds no ways to cheat!

A "relaxed" form of Joliet came with W2K/XP. Roxio incorporated this in V7 although it is not too clear. For Roxio you have to select UDF 102 file system before adding any files to your project. V7 is for W2K/XP only, Win9x/NT need not even try.

The limits are not listed but my experiments looked like this:

My test CD has: 13 sub-directories, 10 character names. One 10 character filename + 3 in each.

Level 13 pathname = 207 character total.

UDF (with or w/o Joliet bridge) readable on XP Home/Pro & W2K.

Note that with Win98SE & NT4, the CD was only readable to the eight sub-directory – 9th sub-dir name was present, but shows as empty. On W2K/XP all directories/files were readable.

2.1K Posts

November 20th, 2004 17:00

scoobydooby wrote:
Excuse my ignorance;  what is UDF?

UDF is 'the other white meat'.

File Systems for Optical media are:

ISO9660

Joliet

UDF (Universal Data Format) v1.02, v1.5 & v2.0
w/o Bridge
w/Joliet Bridge
w/ISO9660 Bridge

(I hope you are impressed, because I am pushing the outer limits of my knowledge just to get this far! There is smoke coming out of one ear and blisters forming on my forehead!)

Since we are talking about Data CD/DVDs and long filenames, we can confine this to UDF and not worry about burning bridges.

UDF is also used for DVD Movies and in packet writing. However do not let the lack of reliability of packet writing scare you off. It is not due to UDF but rather the fact that optical media was never designed to be used like magnetic media.

Lots of good information and much trivia can be found at Andy McFadden's site, Here. – I just learned today that CD-Rs are burned at about 400 degrees F. whereas RWs can go up to 1300 F.

2.1K Posts

November 21st, 2004 11:00

@TAH wrote:
Scoobydooby and Jim Hardin -- thanks much for the additional information!

It now looks like there are a couple of options for me, besides the current workaround that I mentioned in my original post (above.)  Either get RecordNow! (after verfiying that the Prassi engine is still available) or look into upgrading my present Roxio software to version 7.  I will check out both of these options.

Jim: in regard to your comments about operating systems, it's interesting that my dimension XPS T500 running W98SE and equiped with the HP 9100 CD-Writer and HP software (derived from Veritas and using a format called "CDFS") appears to have no trouble recording files with long filenames.

Thanks, again, to you both for the help!

TAH

Message Edited by TAH on 11-21-2004 08:09 AM

Message Edited by TAH on 11-21-2004 08:11 AM

Not really… It is not just a matter of software but tied to the OS as well! W9x cannot read or write any optical media that exceed these limits:

Filename – 64 characters max
Pathname – 128 characters (full path + filename)
8 subdirectories max
4gb file length limit

What you are missing is that Windows became verbose in W2K/XP.

In Win9x you started with "C:\My Document", pathname = 14 and 2 subdirectories used.

With XP you are starting with "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents", pathname = 52 and 4 subdirectories used!

Add other descriptive folder names like "\Pictures of Our Wonderful August Vacation to the Grand Bahamas and Nassau\" and you are up to a pathname of 127. You have 1 character left! Use it wisely…

43 Posts

November 21st, 2004 11:00

Scoobydooby and Jim Hardin -- thanks much for the additional information!

It now looks like there are a couple of options for me, besides the current workaround that I mentioned in my original post (above.)  Either get RecordNow! (after verfiying that the Prassi engine is still available) or look into upgrading my present Roxio software to version 7.  I will check out both of these options.

Jim: in regard to your comments about operating systems, it's interesting that my dimension XPS T500 running W98SE and equiped with the HP 9100 CD-Writer and HP software (derived from Veritas and using a format called "CDFS") appears to have no trouble recording files with long filenames.

Thanks, again, to you both for the help!

TAH

Message Edited by TAH on 11-21-2004 08:09 AM

Message Edited by TAH on 11-21-2004 08:11 AM

June 30th, 2020 08:00

Long path tool can solve your problem easily. It can delete, copy, move and bulk rename long path files or locked files easily. Try it, It is very useful.

No Events found!